Knocking at the rear

Digga

Reaction score
Only had my A3 1.8T for just over a month but I've started to notice a knocking sound coming from the rear of my car.. Sounded like something in the boot rattling about, removed everything from the boot to make sure, still knocked. It only happens over small bumps in the road, going over a large pothole or such doesn't reveal anything obvious.. I'm starting think it's the suspension. Can anyone give some idea as to determine the cause..

Cheers
Digga

mine does that a bit, I think its my latch that is causing it as there is slighty movement in it, even when shut right. Only does it over very bumpy roads.

Mine has driven me mad with this. I now know what it is, but can't see how to stop it: it's the folding backrest of the rear seat (the passenger side in my case). If you fold the backrest it stops. I've adjusted the rubber stop, and put foam there, but no good so far.

i've had a knocking sound - and i was told it may be the rear suspension bushes... i'd already checked the exhaust & it seems solidly mounted.

it does sound like its coming from the underside of the car... its pretty loud & metallic sounding?! i'm not sure if its audible outside the car, but it seems like it & is embarrassing!

any ideas?

hmmmm... thanks for the replys peeps.. You've certainly given me some food for thought.. Thought it could be my rear off side suspension strut as it doesn't rebound after pushing it down as quickly as the near side and it gives quite a squeak (bushes?).It's not my exhaust either, I'll have to check the rear seat and boot. Mine does sound like its coming from inside the boot..

I hear a knocking sound when I hit bumps but I know it is due to the larger exhaust hitting on the trailing arm of the rear suspension

My rear seat knocked. It was where the bottom of the backrest attached.

I wrapped a small amount of electrical tape around the spindle which cured it.

Then I got a rattle from the same area. This was the one of the rear headrests.

To cure that all I did was pull out the headrest and then bend the arms apart very slightly so if fitted tighter.

Nice and quiet cabin now.

ARBs are known for fracturing. Rear one on mine is creaking well at the moment.

Chris.

I get a creaking sound from the rear of my A3 (drivers side) when the car tilts most noticible when manouvering at slow speeds eg on slopes, up and down lowered kerbs etc...

s3bow: Anti roll bars are known to fracture??? Don't like the sound of that one bit.. Doesn't the whole Rear axel have to be changed for the rear roll bar, least thats what my haynes manual tells me..

Not on the 4wd cars. Drop the rear exhaust box and some heat shielding. Front involves dropping the subframe.
Not sure about the 2wd though. Rich on here will be able to tell you though.

Chris.

[ QUOTE ]
My rear seat knocked. It was where the bottom of the backrest attached.

I wrapped a small amount of electrical tape around the spindle which cured it.

[/ QUOTE ]

You might just save my sanity with that bit of info.

[reaches for electrical tape]