Slight turn steering wheel vibration

Salmanazar

Reaction score
Morning,
I'm actually not new here but for some reason I can't seem to get my account working. So have re-registered.

Just looking for a bit of a steer (!)

I have a 2000 S3. Recently I am feeling a vibration (not very pronounced) at low speeds <30mph when I carry out moderate turns. I'd estimate it's evident when moving throguh 10 to 30 degree turns on the wheel. It actually feels like a vague rubbing sensation.

I think it occurs when turning left and turning right.

At higher speeds things seem fine and it's possibly not eveident after driving the car for a while (although I'm not convinced).

Could it be power steering fluid? CV joint? Bearings?

I also notice that at full steering lock the car sort of "crabs" a little. Reading around, this seems to be expected from the quattro system. Is this correct?

All help much appreciated.

The crabbing could be to do with the Haldex needing a servicing. When was the oil and filter last changed?
Mines developed a 'rubbing' noise that started on full lock right, but has started doing it a little when turning left now and doesn't have to even be on full lock. Went for a long drive the other day, and it seemed to of stopped when I returned home, but has started again.
PAS fluid is not moving, and it's not damp on the hard pressure pipes at the front of the sump under the car..
Needing to get it on a ramp to fully check everything over, but your problem sounds quite similar to mine, so if you find the cause, and visa-versa I'll share any info I can.
Good luck,
Callum.

Welcome to the site!!

If you do a search on here, there is lots of info on people having the same issue.

Search for Haldex, plenty will come up.

A few things to check are the earth strap at the bottom of the car, passenger side at the back, check that the fuse for the haldex hasnt blown, try the car with the haldex fuse in and out to see if its an electrical issue or not.

Check the SH and see when the Haldex oil and filter were last changed, if its been a while, its worth getting that done.

That should be enough to get you going :)