wandering fuel indicator

MattW86

Reaction score
Hi guys, i have an issue at the moment where my fuel guageboth the needle and the trip will fluctuate dramatically. It does settle itself eventually but is started to get on my wick..

Any ideas on a fix?
Cheers,
Matt

Mines done this a few times too when I've been sat warming the car up. I just ignore it but wouldn't mind knowing what causes it!

Have you scanned for fault codes? I have heard of this being caused by a dodgy speed sensor in the gear box

The dash uses the speedo signal and a couple of other sensors to stabilise the fuel gauge when going up and down hills etc

<tuffty/>

check fuse for reverse lights and if not that, then check wiring to both the speed sensor and reverse switch and also earths. If not it may be a speed sensor.
Mine was just wiring :)

Checked for codes, nothin popped up. Reverse lights and fuse are sweet. Brake switch was changed awhile back. Where one the gearbox would one find the speed sensor to check it over?

If the fuel guage and the trip are going up and down i would have said maybe the sender unit in the tank? Ive only ever seen the needles playing around.