Lowering Question - 50mm Eibachs on order

dgannon69

Reaction score
I have read a few recent posts on lowering. Am i right in saying that the 1.8 T Sport models are already lowered 30mm from standard? I ask this because i've ordered 50mm lowering springs in the hope that these will give me a 20mm drop...

Am i right or will the springs be a 50mm drop from the standard height?

I remember the guy with the Nothelle 1.8T from i think greece doing it but i can'#t find his post.

Any help much appreciated.

Cheers guys
Dave

H&R -50mm springs on my A3 are just right for ride height! IMO, 30mm eibach springs or the like are a waste of time.

Rich

If Markb reads this he should be able to tell you.

As far as I know you are correct. You need the 50mm kit to get any sort of substantial drop.

I am that guy and here is that post:

http://www.audi-sport.net/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=356663&an=0&page=4#356663

Although its about fitting H&Rs on Bilsteins,

Anyway I was warried as well about dropping it too low or making it too harsh.
First step of 30mm lowering proved meaningless as the car did not drop at all (however it became much more steady, and the steering wheel more precise).

The 50mm springs only dropped the car around 15mm maybe a bit more...

All I can say now is that it made a big difference to cars' behaviour (for the best) and it now understeers less and oversteers (when pushed a lot) bit more.

I do recommend this setup as driveability is concerned but if you are after the looks it want drop as much as a coilover setup

HTH,

Kostas

[ QUOTE ]
If Markb reads this he should be able to tell you.

As far as I know you are correct. You need the 50mm kit to get any sort of substantial drop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah the -25mm Eibach Pros are a waste of time. They give your car a nose down stance.

The front is about right on mine, but the rear takes the P*ss!

Much improved handling and ride height, but not low enough.

Coil-overs next for me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

which kit lowers more from eibach? is it the pro-kit or sportline?

I'm just wondering as i don't know wat the garage getting them for me has actually ordered...

cheers

Markb, while we are on the subject, how do your current spring ride?

Do they seem to be okay with the standard shocks. Can the OE shocks control the springs okay.

I want to fit some springs to my MK4 golf, but I actually don't want to lower it much if at all. I just want to give a little more control.

As me girlie drives it most of the time, she doesn't want a bumpy ride.

Ta.

Just thought i'd add that i have the eibach lowering springs and its the back that looks like it sits lower than the front maybe cos its the quattro and theres added wait at the rear. But its complete opposite to markb's. The back looks spot on but the front looks to high in my opinion.

[ QUOTE ]

Do they seem to be okay with the standard shocks. Can the OE shocks control the springs okay.

I want to fit some springs to my MK4 golf, but I actually don't want to lower it much if at all. I just want to give a little more control.

Ta.

[/ QUOTE ]

I had eibach springs on OE shocks on my Mk4 Golf GT TDI and the ride was excellent. Not harsh at all! I would definately recommend them for comfort.

I'll try and dig out some pics tonight..

[ QUOTE ]
I actually don't want to lower it much if at all. I just want to give a little more control

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it is best then to just fit firmer shocks (I do recommend the Bilsteins I've fitted on my A3 a month ago)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Ta.

[/ QUOTE ]

I had eibach springs on OE shocks on my Mk4 Golf GT TDI and the ride was excellent. Not harsh at all! I would definately recommend them for comfort.

I'll try and dig out some pics tonight..

[/ QUOTE ]

Got to agree with Dicky the Eibachs with OE shocks is a good combo and the handling is much improved with good handling. It's just the ride height...

The girlie wants the golf remapped, so she is bound to wack it round some corners when its done. But she also needs comfort as she drives long distances and often takes out work collegues.

Hmm, decisions. I think I'll get the springs anyway as they are cheap and they will only take me a morning to fit. If the shocks need doing I'll get them later.

Here you go!

Untitled-10.jpg

Untitled-11.jpg

Untitled-12.jpg

Thanks for posting the pics. At that height it still looks OE but slightly sportier. Also no probs to arb rubbing.

Can I just confirm which Eibach springs. 25mm drop?

I can't remember exactly but they were around 30mm IIRC. Certainly no lower than 35mm.