PAS pipe damaged, patch with rubber hose instead?

coolspot007007

Reaction score
I found a leak in the return pipes for the PAS, in the hard pipe, just before the p clip before the rack. Will I be ok to cut out the damaged pipe work and replace with high pressure hose, or is that likely to shoot off the remaining hard pipe at the first sign of pressure? I've seen barbed banjo connectors so I could replace the pipe that goes to the rack entirely, up to where it hose clips to the hard pipe at the front of the car. It's the one that runs around the back of the engine I'm not so sure on.

Is it definitely post rack? In theory, if it's post rack, you should be fine replacing it temporarily with a bit of high pressure hose.

the high pressure feed pipe went on my girlfriends Polo 4 years ago, I replaced it with a 6'' section of hydraulic hose from a JCB on site, and it ran fine for 3 years before we sold the car! And that's in the high pressure side. not ideal, but it worked to get her going, and then we never bothered replacing it again.

I've not been able to get the best look at it but on ETKA one pipe goes from a banjo at the rack, over the subframe (where it's P clipped) then after a short run changes to rubber pipe then is hose clipped to a hard pipe that doubles back on itself once. The other pipe runs from U-bend at the front of the car to rubber pipe, then hard pipe around the back of the engine and up to the PAS tank, I think.

Where these 2 pipes run next to each other over the subframe in hard pipe they've been smashed about a lot. But as they are hose clipped at one end as standard I'm thinking it's going to fine having a hose clipped section in there, I'll probably scuff up the pipe and double clip it to be sure. Assuming it's steel pipe i can always throw a couple of tack welds on to create a bit of a ridge to prevent the hose slipping.