TurboCharges

AVerma

Reaction score
Hello everybody!

I want information on the A3 1.8T sport turbocharger! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif How does it work? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif what is it? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif what does it do? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif also what is the difference between the standard A3 1.8T sport turbocharger and the KKK KO4?? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gifWhat is the difference?? Which is better? thank in advance!!! Also is it worth getting the A3 1.8T sport or the A3 1.8T sport quatto?? thanks again!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif

ok this is how I understand it:

1.8T engine 150bhp has a K03 turbo
210 and 225 engines have a K04, which is essentially phyiscally bigger, ( bigger = more air flow )

The 1.8T sport turbo is somewhere in between the two, I've seen it described as a K04 housing with K03 internals, but that doesn't make sense, I think its more likely to be a K03 housing machined out to take K04 internals, so doesn't have the (relatively) high flow of the K04 but is better/more aggressive than the k03.

[ QUOTE ]
Crafty said:
ok this is how I understand it:

1.8T engine 150bhp has a K03 turbo
210 and 225 engines have a K04, which is essentially phyiscally bigger, ( bigger = more air flow )

The 1.8T sport turbo is somewhere in between the two, I've seen it described as a K04 housing with K03 internals, but that doesn't make sense, I think its more likely to be a K03 housing machined out to take K04 internals, so doesn't have the (relatively) high flow of the K04 but is better/more aggressive than the k03.

[/ QUOTE ]

The older 1.8T Sports use the K03 turbo... up to 2000 i believe, and at that point all 1.8T's were given teh K03S (K03 housing with K04 internals. The old ones can be chipped to about 195bhp, and the newer ones to about 210-220bhp.

The 1.8T Quattro always had the K03S and can also be chipped to 220bhp(ish)... THis would be my choice over the 2 cos of 4wd... much better handling.

Going on your post you dont know what a turbo does!?!

Well it workis like this...

The engine works on mixing air and fuel and then burning the mix... and a non-turbo (NA) engine can only be tuned to the maximum the throttle body will pull in. A trubo charger uses exhaust gas to spin an impeller, which pushes (forces) air into the engine... therefore the more air in = more power out.

Make sense so far?

Turbo cars are far more tunable than normally aspirated cars because yo can get my power cimply by upping the boost pressure (the pressure at which air is pushed into the egnine) but obviously fuelling has to be tweaked also otherwise the engine will run lean.

Rich

so can i put a KO4 turbocharger in a 1999 A3 1.8T??

[ QUOTE ]
AjayA3 said:

[/ QUOTE ]

I suppose it may fit (I think I have seen fitting kits advertised online), however you would need to get new software for your ECU to work with it AND you'll find that K04 turbos are very, very expensive - £3000+ with kit. Better to simply chip it and save the pennies for when you can afford an S3 to get the higher power IMO

A 1999 1.8T has straight K03, 2001 has hybrid K03/04 and TT/S3 has K04. Following is taken directly from the turbo manufacturer, BorgWarner, website (http://www.3k-warner.de/en/products/passenger_gas.asp) and shows differences in max. power and flow.

Max. flow rate K03 0,17 and K04 0,21 (kg/s)
Output range K03 150 and K04 185 (kW)
Swing valve
Twin-flow turbines
1050°C technology

NOTE power is specified in Kw NOT bhp. 1hp is 750W and 1 Kw is 1000W so kw/0.75 = bhp (150Kw = 200bhp and 185Kw = 246bhp)
2001 model of 1.8T has compressor side from K04 (exhaust side from K03) and sits somewhere between these figures.

Hope this is useful

[ QUOTE ]
AjayA3 said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes you can, but you will need a new exhaust system, ECU Remap, intake pipe, andan uprated intercooler would be a god idea.

Rich

I asked John and he says yes you can put a KO4 on, but like Rich says - the other stuff will help, otherwise heat soak will be an issue.

My think is like this.....buy the S3, if you can't afford the 3.2 DSG, or buy the 1.8T Quattro sport if you can't afford the S3. But remeber the 1.8TQ will be more expensive to insure than the 1.8T.

Which ever you get i personally would not bother upgrading the turbo on the A3 to the K04 and would instead take it to an aftermarket tuner who has kits ready for fitting. Why? Well firstly the turbo's they use are much more realiable and can acheive higher speeds than the KKK, and secondly it is far more cost effective IMO.