Gear selection problem

cavemanken

Reaction score
Just got back into my Audi A3 1.9tdi SE 03 plate to find it wouldnt go into reverse gear, All other gears seemed to be OK, after a few minutes trying and rocking the car I was able to get it into reverse only to find that when I put it into either first or second and released the clutch there was no drive, Now Reverse, 3rd 4th 5th and 6th are all OK just no drive in first or second! Cars done 150k but has run faultlessly since I bought it 6yrs ago

Ken

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but that means your gearbox is knackered :(

Had exactly the same symptoms with my S3 last year and the reason it happens is that the selector fork for whatever pair of gears yours being first and second like me breaks off as the rivet snaps. Its quite a common issue but an expensive one as basically you either need to find a good second hand gearbox to fit (which is what I did) or you can get yours fixed for about £200 but obviously box will need to come off whatever

Reactions: cavemanken
If u can remove box yourself then jus buy a low milage 2nd Hand box an re fit be better than rebuilding that one as with 150k on it summat else is bound to break sooner or later,it's what I'd do oh an fit a new clutch whilst your there be rude not to lol

Thanks for the help guys, turned out as you said, the gearbox was stuffed but also when we looked closely the fuel pump was knackered too which was looking expensive, however I found a local lad who had recently set up a garage business who happened to have an engine and gearbox parked in the back of his garage.
I gave him the job and gearbox and fuel pump were fitted the following day at a cost of £600 all in, not at all unhappy with that, car is back and running as sweet as she ever did, Thanks again for the advice!