AH FabricationsMonster Motorsport
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By vrbob

Thread: Gear selection problem

Reverse Gear

Status

Gear selection problem

Just got back into my Audi A3 1.9tdi SE 03 plate to find it wouldnt go into reverse gear, All other gears seemed to be OK, after a few minutes trying and rocking the car I was able to get it into reverse only to find that when I put it into either first or second and released the clutch there was no drive, Now Reverse, 3rd 4th 5th and 6th are all OK just no drive in first or second! Cars done 150k but has run faultlessly since I bought it 6yrs ago

Ken

2. # ADS
    ADS

Thats no Moon, Thats a space station!

Status
    Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but that means your gearbox is knackered

Had exactly the same symptoms with my S3 last year and the reason it happens is that the selector fork for whatever pair of gears yours being first and second like me breaks off as the rivet snaps. Its quite a common issue but an expensive one as basically you either need to find a good second hand gearbox to fit (which is what I did) or you can get yours fixed for about £200 but obviously box will need to come off whatever
    cavemanken likes this.
    Audi S3 8L BAM 225 2002 - Ming Blue : Silver Heated Leather, Armrest, RNS-E - Bose, Alloy Mirrors, 18" RSTT`s, Sunroof, Cruise, AutoDim Mirror & Usual S3 Extras.
    Mods : Badger 5 Stg 2 Custom Map, FMIC, 3" DP & 200 Cell Cat, 007P, Jetex Filter & 80mm TIP & Heatshield, Complete LED Kit, Gen VW Aero Wipers, Full Powerflex Kit, R32 RARB, AP Shocks & Springs, 15mm Front & 20mm Rear Spacers, BB Uprated Actuator,
    N249 Delete & Catch Can, AP TVR 4Pot Brakes & DS2500`s, Sachs Carbon/Kevlar Clutch

Neutral

Status
    If u can remove box yourself then jus buy a low milage 2nd Hand box an re fit be better than rebuilding that one as with 150k on it summat else is bound to break sooner or later,it's what I'd do oh an fit a new clutch whilst your there be rude not to lol

Reverse Gear

Status
    Thanks for the help guys, turned out as you said, the gearbox was stuffed but also when we looked closely the fuel pump was knackered too which was looking expensive, however I found a local lad who had recently set up a garage business who happened to have an engine and gearbox parked in the back of his garage.
    I gave him the job and gearbox and fuel pump were fitted the following day at a cost of £600 all in, not at all unhappy with that, car is back and running as sweet as she ever did, Thanks again for the advice!