Chris NottVolks Autos
    3rd Gear

Status

Door Blade Problem

Hi folks, my door blade has just come loose at one end and I'm wondering do I need to take it off to repair it?

I see this thread here has instructions on how to remove it Attempting door blade removal later today
    But I'm not sure if I have the same problem as this thread. You can see a pic of mine below. The white plastic piece the the blade is attached to is still attached to do the door.

Does anyone know if this thread is describing the same problem I have? Or did their white plastic piece come away from the door?

I'm wondering if I can just put some sikaflex 252 sealant directly on to the white plastic bit without taking it off the door and just seal it to the blade?

IMG_20140215_142603.jpg

2. # ADS
    ADS

S3 Drift King!

Status
    You need to take it off to repair it bud.

99' Audi S3(APY) - Brilliant Black Click>>>Going Sideways vid!
    You've got to have a laugh! For Sale:LCR Brakes - £400

Noggies ruuuule!

Status
    You can try glueing it but I'm unsure how long it will last. They're easy to remove. There are four bolts you access from behind the door. Two are covered up by rubber bungs.

3rd Gear

Status
    So do I have the same problem as the thread I referenced? I just couldn't tell if their blade came away from the white plastic part or the screws stopped holding the white plastic part.

I tried unscrewing the two screws either end but my electric screwdriver was just wearing out the screw head. So left it for now.

Do I just need to get it all off. Then seal the white part to the blade. Then screw it all back on again. That simple or am I missing something?

S3 Drift King!

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by metricspaces View Post
    So do I have the same problem as the thread I referenced? I just couldn't tell if their blade came away from the white plastic part or the screws stopped holding the white plastic part.

I tried unscrewing the two screws either end but my electric screwdriver was just wearing out the screw head. So left it for now.

Do I just need to get it all off. Then seal the white part to the blade. Then screw it all back on again. That simple or am I missing something?
    Yes, just follow the instructions in the thread you linked to. Your screws are fubar'd by now, so probs need to drill them out to get the blade off.

1st Gear

Status
    I had the same problem the screws seize and break out of the plastic as it's the end you can get some grips on it then drill the screw out. I glued mine then as an extra used a longer screw that actually bit into the blade which has worked for me. Been like it about a month so far and appears to be holding so don't hurt to try. I was a bit worried just dropping one new blade on might show a colour difference and other bits can use the funds more at the minute.

3rd Gear

Status
    I'm wondering how I just take the blade off. Do I need to remove any screws?

It sounds like the four screws are holding the white plastic bit on. None of these screws go into the blade? So can I just pull the blade off?

Thats no Moon, Thats a space station!

Status
    there are little fixing mounts on the door which the door blade slides onto.

If you undo all the screws and open the door the door blade should slide a little towards the back of the car and you can then remove it to repair.
    Audi S3 8L BAM 225 2002 - Ming Blue : Silver Heated Leather, Armrest, RNS-E - Bose, Alloy Mirrors, 18" RSTT`s, Sunroof, Cruise, AutoDim Mirror & Usual S3 Extras.
    Mods : Badger 5 Stg 2 Custom Map, FMIC, 3" DP & 200 Cell Cat, 007P, Jetex Filter & 80mm TIP & Heatshield, Complete LED Kit, Gen VW Aero Wipers, Full Powerflex Kit, R32 RARB, AP Shocks & Springs, 15mm Front & 20mm Rear Spacers, BB Uprated Actuator,
    N249 Delete & Catch Can, AP TVR 4Pot Brakes & DS2500`s, Sachs Carbon/Kevlar Clutch

1st Gear

Status
    It should unscrew and slide off as said above. But all mine had seized and the things they screw into come loose so a case of drilling them out.

5th Gear

Status
    Yes, the problem you have is that the white nylon insert is coming away from the outer grey plastic moulting, which is what happens to these fixings over time. Essentially the rubber material between the white nylon and grey plastic perishes and causes the parts to separate. This is what had happened to my blade.

In my original thread above, I used a self-tapping screw to re-attach the white nylon insert to the grey moulding, and then also sealed it in place with Sikalfex. Once dry, I then filed the exposed head off the self-tapping screw and re-attached the blade to the car with the original screws (which were luckily OK).

It's been back in place now for 2 years and hasn't shown any signs of coming apart again, so I'd recommend following the same route.

Drop me a PM if you have any questions & I'll try to help.

Reverse Gear

Status
    I managed to buy 2 new ones of the bay in the right colour for £200. mine had had it. can't polish a turd they say. there all out of shape if you look down them. it's a bitter pill to swallow. NEW all the way.
    Using Tapatalk

3rd Gear

Status
    As mine is only slightly off at one end. I'm thinking I will just do the following:

1) Take out the screw
    2) Drill a hole into the door blade
    3) Put in a longer screw

What you guys reckon? Is there enough in the end of the door blade to take a screw?

South East Events Moderator

Status

My Social Networking

Follow kwistof On Twitter Visit kwistof's Youtube Channel Visit kwistof's Instagram Channel
    As mine is only slightly off at one end. I'm thinking I will just do the following:

1) Take out the screw
    3) Put in a longer screw

What you guys reckon? Is there enough in the end of the door blade to take a screw?
    Yes there is enough in the end of the door blade BUT in the long run it will only get worse as the reason it's done that is because the white nylon strip has started to unbond from the blade itself.
    2000 S3 APY

18" BBS RSII with Michelin PS3s, 20mm H&R adapters, Relentless 3" DP and Sports cat, B5 V1 induction kit, cone filter+heat shield, Forge 007P, Awesome GTI SMF, AP coilovers, Facelift rear lights, Full Powerflex poly bush kit, R32 Rear ARB, SAI delete, N249 by-pass, Upgraded Engine mounts with Polytek, Stage 1 CC at Badger 5.

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by kwistof View Post
    Yes there is enough in the end of the door blade BUT in the long run it will only get worse as the reason it's done that is because the white nylon strip has started to unbond from the blade itself.
    Thanks. I think I will go for the quick fix for now and try a longer screw.

When you say the nylon strip has started to unbond from the blade, I thought that the blade wasn't bonded to anything - it just slides onto the fixings?

S3 Drift King!

Status

1) Take out the screw
    3) Put in a longer screw

This is what I have done on the passenger side. Let me warn you the blade itself is made of a very soft plastic, so I used a longer screw with a blob of superglue on the end, and didn't over tight it. I drilled a small hole through the door hole as a guide aswell, it's still in place.