Are S3 upper and lower rear arms identical?

Bad Sir Culation

Reaction score
I thought they were but noticed them listed as the same part numbers but for differing letters at the end.

That's confused me!

Does anyone know for sure?

I cant remember what way round. Some years shared same top and bottom. Some years had different top and bottom. (Maybe due to facelift or not) but the bar was essentially the same just 5mm shorter. But this is from reading into it myself I have no first hand knowledge on it. Its definately been discussed previously though. Daz

I had all 4 of mine off recently to fit poly bushes and adjustable ones, and found they were all the same length, mines a facelift 2003 s3.

Cheers all. I ordered new hub bushes yesterday and asked the dealer about this. They told me that it was showing the same part number for all, so looks like they are the same on my car

I was thinking that the different sizes was age related, like prefacelift vs facelift models, I'm now thinking maybe it's suspension option related? As far as I know, in Europe, you could specify the GmbH suspension option, but not in the UK. However, I'm led to believe if you ticked the 18" RSTT alloy wheels option in the UK, then you get the GmbH suspension as standard, which lowers the car by 10mm. I've seen some S3s sit like tractors with the RSTTs fitted, so it's clear these we're put on at a later date.

Need some proof/facts though....

I was thinking that the different sizes was age related, like prefacelift vs facelift models, I'm now thinking maybe it's suspension option related? As far as I know, in Europe, you could specify the GmbH suspension option, but not in the UK. However, I'm led to believe if you ticked the 18" RSTT alloy wheels option in the UK, then you get the GmbH suspension as standard, which lowers the car by 10mm. I've seen some S3s sit like tractors with the RSTTs fitted, so it's clear these we're put on at a later date.

Need some proof/facts though....

This makes total sense and has crossed my mind before recently tbh.

Basically we need some owners who have the OEM suspension still on their cars- preferably with the RSTT's/lowered suspension as I expect those owners should have slightly different control arm lengths when measured.

Wonder if the Audi workshop manuals have any more information on them :think:

My car came with RSTT wheels and both arms where the same length.

Yes, but what suspension have you got, and was the RSTTs original wheels from new or added afterwards? :laugh:

Yes the RSTT wheels were standard on the car. Unsure about what suspension though. Didn't all s3 have GmbH sports suspension?

Yes the RSTT wheels were standard on the car. Unsure about what suspension though. Didn't all s3 have GmbH sports suspension?

Yes but some say rstt factory spec had a 10mm drop as compared to avus 17" factory spec

1JF = Rear sports shock absorption
G21 = Front shock absorption
CL4 = Alloy wheels 8J x 18

These are the option codes for my car.

Just found the option code for GmbH suspension

Get looking at the sticker in the service book or the boot.

AZ2 = Special chassis package of quattro GmbH