S3 facelift headlights

QuestMS

Reaction score
Website
www.questmotorsport.co.uk
Hi all

I need to replace both headlights on my 02 S3 as one has broken up inside and both have broken adjusters. I haven't had a price for new genuine headlights but I'm sure it will be ridiculously expensive. Has anybody found a cheaper option for replacing broken headlights? I can't seem to find aftermarket xenon units anywhere :keule:

Thanks in advance

Brilliant! Just had a quick read and sounds like you replace with the non xenon cheaper Depo headlights and just fit an aftermarket HID kit? Sounds like a fairly easy and effective alternative

Thanks mate

No worries but just be aware (as noted in that thread I linked you too) that adding a HID kit to halogen based projectors is technically illegal due to the cut off filter fitted to HIDs... an option maybe to use the internals of the xenon lights in the new headlights...

This is a good read too
Official B5 A4 / S4 Headlight and HID Thread

Bi-xenon conversions are an option I am looking into as S3 xenons are rubbish tbh

<tuffty/>

I'm not overly fussed about the legality of it all tbh but thank you for pointing that out. The only part broken inside the passenger headlight is the retaining clip for the auto levelling motor. It may be an option to use the innards from my original xenon units inside the new non xenon housings as it won't have the auto levelling motor. Will there be codes logged as it will be a different setup? I take it the wiring is pretty straight forward as the car is already fitted with xenon as std? Apologies for all the questions lol

Cheers again

I'm not overly fussed about the legality of it all tbh but thank you for pointing that out. The only part broken inside the passenger headlight is the retaining clip for the auto levelling motor. It may be an option to use the innards from my original xenon units inside the new non xenon housings as it won't have the auto levelling motor. Will there be codes logged as it will be a different setup? I take it the wiring is pretty straight forward as the car is already fitted with xenon as std? Apologies for all the questions lol

Cheers again

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/group-...headlight-self-levelling-system-a3-s3-8l.html

Don't know if this guy is still doing anything with this particular group buy but I know he sells on eBay... maybe drop him a pm

<tuffty/>

That would have been ideal if the manual adjusters weren't broken :( , haven't got a fix for those too have ya? LOL ....

Take the whole headlight out....give it all a good clean and put it back together.

That's how my self levelling system sorted itself out as mine was also broken for a while- well only 1 side was anyway. Couldn't find a fix for the manual adjusters really so I was pretty lucky the auto levelling system sorted itself out as it caused an MOT failure for me.

Please don't bodge it to become illegal though- there's nothing worse than a high performance/prestige car ruined by cheap HID lights that are incorrect for the car. Up there with adding DRL's to the older generation cars IMO

I read something about replacing the little gears for the adjusters? Can't quite remember where though....
But for the leveling motor clip I used and aluminum one off eBay for mine and it was spot on and shouldn't ever break!

Take the whole headlight out....give it all a good clean and put it back together.

That's how my self levelling system sorted itself out as mine was also broken for a while- well only 1 side was anyway. Couldn't find a fix for the manual adjusters really so I was pretty lucky the auto levelling system sorted itself out as it caused an MOT failure for me.

Please don't bodge it to become illegal though- there's nothing worse than a high performance/prestige car ruined by cheap HID lights that are incorrect for the car. Up there with adding DRL's to the older generation cars IMO

I can't see the issue with it tbh Kwistof, plus the self levelling system only adjusts dipped beam not full beam so I'm still stuck with how to adjust that.

They will look identical from the outside, be set at the correct level so they do not blind people, and I would be using a high quality HID kit which comes with a relay harness needed to stop the wiper motor from burning out (HIDS4U).

I'm not a fan of bodging anything. I'm also not a fan of paying over £300 a headlight either : / .

Cheers

Reactions: kwistof
I'm not a fan of bodging anything. I'm also not a fan of paying over £300 a headlight either : / .

Cheers

Nah that's totally understandable- I was in the same boat and was weighing up my options.... £500 a piece for pre-facelift lights so I expect face-lift will be the same!

Keep an eye out on the classified on here and ebay as people are often breaking S3s.

Have a word with Trups (T8ups) on here about HID kits- his are very good value and comes with a warranty. That's where I ended up getting my replacement ballasts/bulbs.

Nah that's totally understandable- I was in the same boat and was weighing up my options.... £500 a piece for pre-facelift lights so I expect face-lift will be the same!

Keep an eye out on the classified on here and ebay as people are often breaking S3s.

Have a word with Trups (T8ups) on here about HID kits- his are very good value and comes with a warranty. That's where I ended up getting my replacement ballasts/bulbs.

Oh my god £500 each?? Wow ......

I've seen a few on eBay for around £75 each but what will you be buying? Merky lenses and broken clips etc .....

That's why retrofitting HID's into a3 facelift lights sounded appealing, clear shiny new lenses with HID's that aren't pointing at the bumper/sky. My only worry is it will flag a fault in the ECU with regards to self levelling. Not that it would make any difference, just very fussy lol.

They will still be self levelling as you'll have the motor in the back of the depo units surely?

I am planning on selling my oem xenons, just as soon as T8ups finishes my new headlight project :D I paid about 300 for them a year ago.

I am planning on selling my oem xenons, just as soon as T8ups finishes my new headlight project :D I paid about 300 for them a year ago.

Any news from Trups? Last I heard he was waiting on a bracket...