ASR Light Help Please

weaichd1

Reaction score
Good Day Guys

I have a 2001 Audi A3 1.8T 8L which i purchased last year september. Since i bought this vehicle the ASR light stays on as soons as you switch the car on. I try pressing the ASR button button that light stays on no matter what. I got it plugged in and nothing was picked up unless who ever done it didnt know what they were looking at. Can anybody tell me on what could be the problem. Thanks guys. :keule:

What did you scan it with? not all generic code scanners will pick VAG codes up... ideally needs to be scanned with VCDS..

Normally the traction light comes on when the MAF is dead... if the MAF is dead then the ECU can't control load which is part of the traction control systems way of managing power

<tuffty/>

But if the MAF is dead wont the car idle funny or run in limp mode?

Not on an engine with an ME7 based ECU... yours is AUM engine code? as its a 2001... unplug the MAF to double check but ME7 based cars have compensations tables in the maps to deal with when a MAF goes faulty

<tuffty/>

Yes my vehicle is AUM. So if i replace the MAF sensor it should correct the problem?

Not saying it will or won't at this stage just that typically the ASR/ECP light stays on when the MAF is faulty... scan with VCDS in the first instance to be sure you are fault code free... I can't believe that the ASR light is on and there not be a fault code somewhere... needs a full module scan...

That said, its not going to hurt to change the MAF if you don't know when it was last done as they don't last forever... only use a genuine Bosch MAF though

Do you know anyone with an 1.8t with the same engine code you could borrow a MAF just to eliminate the issue? doesn't need to be an A3... could also be a Golf but needs to be the same engine code (AUM)

<tuffty/>

as tuffty says only buy bosch, and if you can from tps. i had cheep ebay ones and one from ecp and all were no good.
ON mine the light would go off when you turned off the engine and only come on and stay on after giving it a bit of a welly.

mark