The best discs to use with my brembo's?

S3 Paul

Reaction score
I've had a love hate relationship with the brakes on my S3
its got brembo gt jnr brakes up front and 300 mm rear,
I've been told a fair few times the lack of trust I have for them is down to my poor choice of discs and pads...
So, looks like it will be ds 3000 pads but which discs? I don't REALY want to go 2 piece so it's...
stock , ebc or brembo drilled?
any other options?
ive got about a month to source and fit them ... Mot looming

Either EBC ultimax grooved, or Bills eliptically grooved Paul, although going on what you said you could source the EBC's for, that'll be the no brainer on this occasion.

It's all about the pads though, I'm on DS3000's with totally stock ancient discs at the moment, and they really are staggeringly good.

Avoid the drilled discs Paul, they warp and crack, I did a pair in 500 miles I think? Ouch! I'm running Solid discs ATM with DS2500s with no issues, but my 2 piece discs should be with me by the end of the week! :cool:

If it's a daily car I personally would avoid ds3000... They get through discs as quickly as pads (if not quicker), they're noisy as **** and you can look forward to scraping metal/carbon deposits off your car/wheels every weekend. Not worth the ball ache IMO

I think the ds series eats discs at an alarming rate and burn your alloys, and you are not a track guy..

Are you sure all your pistons are working freely in the brembos? 1 of mine had seized in both sides (rear)and like you wasnt too impressed with them, i have gone for the focus rs pads this time + ultimax discs, but cannot comment on them yet..

Im alarmingly hard on my brakes.
I am the same in my golf but that is a fraction of the weight of the S3.
As for the Metalic dust from using the DS pads... if they are washed on a weekend and using iron x to lift the deposits will i not be ok?
Mr Prawn, I only posted this on here as i feel bad hounding you ,
I have been offered EBC ultimax discs for £112.50+vat and the USR ones for £157 + vat
Im sure i paid about £100 for a pair of standard disc before??

If you are hard on brakes then DS2500's are a min spec IMO... std pads are a fairly one use affair if you are a spirited driver...

I am (for my sins) running pagid pads on mine currently as I need to replace both rotors and pads (gonna do it altogether) and even with 330mm 2-piece discs and ATE blue fluid the pads are just dead after one heavy stop and take a few gentle ones to resurface them enough to get rid of the judder and have some bite back..

I am not heavy on brakes personally so the set up suits my current needs but I'll be on 335mm rotors and DS2500's once the cars on the road

<tuffty/>

I went cheap and just stuck on some Delphi discs (330mm) and the OEM brembo pads this time round... Overall I've been very impressed with the brembo pad as I wasn't really expecting much to be honest, my only complaint would be that they seemed to take a good while to bed in properly. But for a snip above 50 quid you really can't grumble!

330mm?
What are they for ? with stock LCR style brembos?
Are these the Alfa brera discs?
Is It a worth while upgrade?
Im guessing i would need to space the caliper out slightly?

if you match the offsets you can use 330's yes Paul, but typically they need the PCD re-drilling. I'm not sure how the brera discs compare to LCR offset wise.

Radially, you can just space the caliper 3.5mm to suti a 330 disc.

Ds2500's, as you know, will be no use for you.

in this instance, Pauls requirement is above and beyond the norm, so most peoples experiences will be sadly meaningless.

Paul is mullering DS2500's for breakfast, much like I would if I were ever to use them again.

Ds3000 or similar required in this case.

Reactions: S3 Paul
So as we discussed... get the ebc discs 323mm and ds3000 pads?
full flush with ATE super blue fluid?

Glad i saw this, was just about to as the same thing for my lcr brembos. Only running standard agu power at the moment, but heard different things about different brands of discs and pads

if funds are tight, don't get half decent discs and pads. Get stock discs, and spend all the money on the pads.

Reactions: <tuffty/>
I've got stock discs with 2500's. Going for 3000's next!

Brembo max disks look pretty decent and someone on here recommended them over ebc

Its driving style ... spirited driving kills mine
i know of 2 places i dare not try and stop from speed.
That to me ( when people still go wow... look he has Brembo's it must be quick) this is dangerous,

@ Prawn.
What problems did you have with the godspeed disks. So far I can't fault them.

They were absolutely shot to pieces in less than half a day in the wet at Spa.

I faced them, and tried again at Combe the next weekend, and they didn't even last a full session before developing serious judder.

The single piece ones may well be better, but the 2 piece are a joke.

imo, if ds2500 arent good enough for street use, then you should look at cooling youre brakes instead of upgrading to bigger/better/more expensive parts.

Did a fair amount of trackdays with brembo stock/ ds2500 but with proper brake cooling and never had any problem with them...