Suspension choice

RS3_Simon

2016 RS3 SPORTBACK, MRC STAGE 1, SECONDARY DE-CATS
Reaction score
The Koni kit is a good option and excellent value for money.

What springs would you be running if you went for the B8's?

Damian @ DPM Performance

I'm in the same boat - Damian, it would be H&R as per the recommendation. Thoughts/comparisons between the two?

Last edited:
I run this suspension, absolutely fine as a daily driver, couldn't comment on for track use. Should note these aren't adjustable in height or damping

The Koni kit is a good option and excellent value for money.

What springs would you be running if you went for the B8's?

Damian @ DPM Performance

Hi Damian, Tuffty runs Apex springs so either those or H&R whichever keeps the most comfort?

When I had my S3 8L I ran it firstly with the Bilstein B8 dampers and H&R springs and then changed over to Eibach springs.

I personally found the H&R springs a little stiff, as I do with the Apex after being in S3's with them fitted, and found the Eibach's much more forgiving and well matched to the dampers.

The STR.T kit is a good everyday driver kit but you'll get a much more refined ride with the Bilstein mono tube B8 dampers.

Damian @ DPM Performance

Reactions: JD09
I'd echo what Damian has said, i originally had B8 dampers with Apex springs which lowered my S3 by approx 40mm, it looked the business lowered by 40mm but didn't suit the roads i have to use daily (quite rough and uneven, in the winter pot hots can appear through the day and although they get filled in quickly there never filled in flush with the rest of the road) the ride was just too hard for rough roads and i could never get over a speed bump without scraping - handled like a dream around the corners though!

I sold the apex springs to Tuffty who seems happy with 'em and replaced them with Eibach springs which only dropped the car 25mm over the standard setup but we're much more forgiving on rough roads and are still pretty good around the corners

I'd echo what Damian has said, i originally had B8 dampers with Apex springs which lowered my S3 by approx 40mm, it looked the business lowered by 40mm but didn't suit the roads i have to use daily (quite rough and uneven, in the winter pot hots can appear through the day and although they get filled in quickly there never filled in flush with the rest of the road) the ride was just too hard for rough roads and i could never get over a speed bump without scraping - handled like a dream around the corners though! I sold the apex springs to Tuffty who seems happy with 'em and replaced them with Eibach springs which only dropped the car 25mm over the standard setup but we're much more forgiving on rough roads and are still pretty good around the corners
thats my issue - with so many speed bumps around where i live and near to work - I'm loathed to lower my car but would love to.

Well after only a day with the STR.T dampers and H&R springs, I can honestly say I am very impressed with them. Drove snake pass yesterday after having had the car aligned and it was awesome. Really great handling and not bad at all over poor surfaces.

Sure, the Bilsteins might be a bit better overall, but for £4XX these things are great. Very, very pleased.

Reactions: WorkInProgress