Power Steering - HELP PLEASE!

god_thats_quick

Numptie of the highest order
Reaction score
Website
www.theregister.co.uk
Hi All,

As always for a weekend treat, was on my back from picking up my girlfriend tonight and guess what happened this time... no wait for it... the power steering started making a rather nice squeeking / howling noise... no difference to steering feel, further along the way and steering gets very heavy - get home have a quick look, big puddle of power steering fluid under passenger side track rod boot with check fluid level - pretty empty but I think it's all on the road under the car.

So is it going to be the steering rack / box or can it be anything else? really didn't need this right now... there seems to be an oil cooler for the steering fluid on the S3 so could it just be a pipe in that area? couldn't see any though so I'm guessing the worst - if anyone would like to know the worst thing of the lot I meant to buy the new steering rack that ended on ebay a few weeks ago for £36 (words fail me).

Cheers, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Ben.

ps... does anyone know where I can host pdfs as I make have found something that can help others that has vague / wobbley steering issues.

I'd reckon it would most likely be a pipe. They are most likely to split/corrode. Oil cooler of powersteering? Never seen an S3 that closely so I can't comment on that though my A3 doesnt have one. I'd check in daylight - there was a few S3s being broken on ebay last I looked, you may be able to get the pipe if it is that. Hope you get a cheap solution!

The oil cooler is a long pipe that loops around under the very front of the car - I've seen it just never realised what it was.

The vane pump looks a lot easier to change so to be honest I hope it's anything but the steering box, but knowing my luck I doubt it'll be cheap or simple to sort.

Well I've just had a better look at the car in the daylight and had the track rod boot off - oil poored out everywhere from the end of the rack - so it's definately new steering box required. Don't suppose anyones got a new S3 steering rack kicking about have they? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif

Very very vorsprung durch technik! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/fuck_you.gif

If anyone has access to Audi before monday can you let me know how much Audi would charge for a new steering rack as I have the possibility of buying a new one second hand and just need to check if it's a good deal or not.

Edited to add... it's for a year 2000, S3, engine code APY and I think the part number is 8N2 422 061 H or HX at the end.

You are looking around £1000 fir a steering rack for the S3 as its not the sam as any other A3's however it does share the same one as the TTQ.
Give these guys a call 01695 455777, they are breaking an S3 so should have the rack still.

[ QUOTE ]
You are looking around £1000 fir a steering rack for the S3 as its not the sam as any other A3's however it does share the same one as the TTQ.
Give these guys a call 01695 455777, they are breaking an S3 so should have the rack still.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the reply.

I take it the £1000 is for the part and fitting? I want a new one (as I'd rather not chance it with 2nd hand) and just need to find out how much the part will cost from Audi if I have to order the ****** thing I've heard it's £460 but not sure if that with or without vat etc.

noooooo thats just the price of the part mate!!
The one that is breaking is an 03 model with only 5k on it. no frontal damage at all.

Well I'll be getting the one I've found then, it's a brand new for £150 although the guy selling it bought it from Audi a few weeks ago for £460 that is what I wanted to check so if you're saying you think it's more I'll be paying up even quicker.

Thanks again for your replies and if anyone does have ETOS if they could check the current price of 8N2 422 061 HX that would still be handy.

Just got to find somewhere to fit it now, oh and a way to get my car there...

[ QUOTE ]
ps... does anyone know where I can host pdfs as I make have found something that can help others that has vague / wobbley steering issues.

[/ QUOTE ]
You should be able to host them on any web space... you often get some free from your ISP. If you email me the PDFs I'll put them up if you like as I'm interested in the wobbly steering problem (timsimpson (at) blueyonder.co.uk).

BTW, are you sure it's your rack and not the PAS pump which has let go? My PAS pump leaks but I've been told (by independents) that it's not worth doing anything about until it lets go once and for all. The PAS pump should be a lot cheaper than the rack.

[ QUOTE ]
You should be able to host them on any web space... you often get some free from your ISP. If you email me the PDFs I'll put them up if you like as I'm interested in the wobbly steering problem (timsimpson (at) blueyonder.co.uk).

BTW, are you sure it's your rack and not the PAS pump which has let go? My PAS pump leaks but I've been told (by independents) that it's not worth doing anything about until it lets go once and for all. The PAS pump should be a lot cheaper than the rack.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Tim,

I've sent you an email so have a read and let me know.

I'm VERY sure it's not the power steering pump, it's on the other side of the engine bay for a start, but the biggest sign was when I took the boot of the track rod (covering the end of the rack) the boot was full of oil and it's now all over the road (big puddle). everything was also clean above the boot so it's got to be the rack (just my luck).

[ QUOTE ]
just spotted item 4612867851 on ebay, maybe it's a risky one?

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the heads up.

I don't really see the point in fitting a steering rack that's not new as it could have the same problem / be on it's way out and it'd be very difficult to tell and add in the rather large labour bill to fit a new rack I just don't see the point. I'm hopeing I've managed to get a new rack for a very good price, I'm just trying to decide what else to replace whilst I'm at it. I think the track rod that's been soaked in oil is a good start and maybe get a poly bush for the new rack.

Cheers,

Ben.

Just to let everyone know the end result if anyones interested... got my car back last night from Fontain in Iver and it only cost £235 inc vat to have the steering rack fitted and the gearbox oil changed (labour only).

I can't recommend Fontain enough, the guys there were a huge help and appear to have done a very good job. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bravo.gif