Quick Q: Are top mounts actually bolted on?

Bad Sir Culation

Reaction score
Or do they sit sandwiched between the metal plate on the top of the spring and the metal plate that bolts on the top in the engine bay?

Sounds daft, but I have just been putting a new shock together and the centre bolt went through the top mount. I was sure that wasn't supposed to happen but thought I would check before getting upset!

The weight of the car stops them from moving, they aren't bolted in

Edit: sorry thinking about a different car, I'm wrong here

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys, really worried there. I've never had a car with top mounts like these which aren't bolted onto the shock itself. I knew they didn't bolt to the car, but was worried they should still bolt onto the shock itself.

So the bolt on the strut, does that bolt on the metal plate above the spring AND the bearing that the top mount then sits over?

Just to clarify, this is the strut assembled. Bearing at the top below the nut.

The top mount just sits over that nut, it isn't fixed on by it?

Uploadfromtaptalk1391375559387

Well not these LCR ones it doesn't? The nut went straight through the middle when I was tightening up and now sits over the bolt....

Looks like the top plate is upside down...

the plate is like a top hat... bearing on top of that, then the top mount rubber and a flattish nut... insert through hole in suspension turret, fit top plate and larger nut

<tuffty/>

According to that diagram, it must be meant to be sandwiched between the nut and the bearing, as I originally thought.

I was tightening up that shock without compressors on initially and have obviously torn through the middle due to not thinking first.

It really has been one of those days.

There are two nuts involved.

One goes above the bearing and holds the spring top plate and spring tension.

The top mount then sits on top of that, and sits up into the suspension turret on the car, and then the top cap is bolted onto the strut top to hold everything in place when the car is jacked up etc.

The lower nut on my car is thinner than the one in your pic though.

edit: there was a post frenzy whilst I was typing!

The mount isn't sandwiched between the nut and the bearing, at least it isn't in any meaningful way. The main thing is that you get the spring plate and bearing right up against the end of the threads on the strut, otherwise it will knock.

Last edited:
Given up for tonight. The top nut with the Konis is actually 22mm too, so can't use the 21mm socket with an Allen key through it :(

You have the spring cap the right way in your pic, you just need to remove the Koni nut, add the top mount, and then add the 21mm slim nut (VAG refer to that nut as a threaded retaining bush).

If you have access to an impact gun, it's a far easier way of tightening the final 22mm Koni nut.

You wont damage the shock with an electric impact gun, do this day in day out.

You can reach inside the gator and hold the shock shaft with one hand and then gun the nut up, then a final check with torque wrench.

Hmm... I will try but not sure I can really hold shock shaft through these H&R springs. I could maybe use grips with a rag to protect the shaft but still not comfortable with it.

Hmm... I will try but not sure I can really hold shock shaft through these H&R springs. I could maybe use grips with a rag to protect the shaft but still not comfortable with it.

Don't hold it with grips. You should be able to get a hand on it. They don't generally need a lot of holding. Thumb pressure should be enough

Don't use grips, very easy to damage shock shaft. If you cannot do it by hand go back to the old school methods.

A deep cranked ring spanner with hex bit socket through middle will normally work. Or if you ultra flash the vortex hollow ratchets and sockets work a treat.

Just realised, I have a 22/24mm deep cranked ring spanner from Halfords that I never thought I'd use and meant to take back but forgot!

I'm very paranoid about damaging new suspension, and don't even like jacking under the arm and compressing the shock and spring, even though common sense says not to worry lol.