Brake pad MM and disc lip

JD09

I'm not modding, I'm improving
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Yes. Very ashamed I'm asking this, as I really should know. Bought some Brembo GT Juniors and have a question re pads and discs.

Do I presume that I have 3mm of brake pad life on these;

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1391121157799462

Is that low?

And is this lip an issue, that I should either get skimmed or replace with new rotors from Bill?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1391121192597880

Together with quite rusty rotors...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1391121202483347

Yes 3mm is low (though would still pass an MOT (don't get me started on VOSA guidelines)).

As for the discs they new measuring to be certain with a micrometer and comparing to the minimum thickness. The min thickness is sometimes stamped on the discs somewhere or from technical data. Autodata states min thickness for an S3 is 23mm.

These use lcr discs dont they? 323mm x 28mm ? Were talking brakes here mate id replace all of it. Pads and discs. Who knows the life they have had. I bought a 2nd hand set of r32 brakes. Had it all fitted and they were aweful. Changed discs pads and rebuilt the calipers with new seals and they are brilliant brakes on road. Its clear you have your own doubt by the way you asked the question. Why fit any of it to replace parts in a matter of weeks.

LCR discs should be 28mm thick when new. Minimum thickness is 26mm.

The easiest way to measure this, is using 2 M8 13mm nuts and a set of calipers.

Hold a nut on either side of the disc, and measure the total width of the disc and 2 nuts.

Then measure the thickness of the 2 nuts, and subtract that from your first measurement, and that'll give you a disc thickness not taking into account the lip.

If you just hold calipers over the disc, you'll be measuring the lip, and not true disc wear.

a 1mm lip on each side if a fully worn disc.

From those pics, I'd say the pads, and discs are ready for the bin.

Reminds me I need to bin my rear disks, noticeably worn down! Going to feel awesome with new 312 discs up front, new discs back and a can of dot4

Yes 3mm is low (though would still pass an MOT (don't get me started on VOSA guidelines)).

As for the discs they new measuring to be certain with a micrometer and comparing to the minimum thickness. The min thickness is sometimes stamped on the discs somewhere or from technical data. Autodata states min thickness for an S3 is 23mm.

Cheers, Lewis. 28mm I think, but have done what Prawn said and they look pretty lipped/thin.

Cheers chap, but have DS2500 ready to go on, was just hoping to use the rotors, rather than forking out for more.

These use lcr discs dont they? 323mm x 28mm ? Were talking brakes here mate id replace all of it. Pads and discs. Who knows the life they have had. I bought a 2nd hand set of r32 brakes. Had it all fitted and they were aweful. Changed discs pads and rebuilt the calipers with new seals and they are brilliant brakes on road. Its clear you have your own doubt by the way you asked the question. Why fit any of it to replace parts in a matter of weeks.

Yeah I've come round to agreeing with you/your train of thought, Daz.

LCR discs should be 28mm thick when new. Minimum thickness is 26mm.

The easiest way to measure this, is using 2 M8 13mm nuts and a set of calipers.

Hold a nut on either side of the disc, and measure the total width of the disc and 2 nuts.

Then measure the thickness of the 2 nuts, and subtract that from your first measurement, and that'll give you a disc thickness not taking into account the lip.

If you just hold calipers over the disc, you'll be measuring the lip, and not true disc wear.

a 1mm lip on each side if a fully worn disc.

From those pics, I'd say the pads, and discs are ready for the bin.

Clever idea that Prawny, simple too. Done it and works out as roughly 26.5mm so going to bin them as suggested.

So by reading off here, presume Bill's ecliptic grooved disks are the best bet?

Ahh, my bad. Sorry fella. But, like you are doing, I'd sack them off if it were my car and fit new. :thumbsup:

Is it only me... I would have got the last breath out of them,, 3mm pads is only half used lol....

Dave in all seriousness, you're welcome to them? Not sure what the pads are, presume the standard ones supplied with the Brembo GT Juniors. Same with the discs. They're both matched to each other, judging by the faces of both?

Is it only me... I would have got the last breath out of them,, 3mm pads is only half used lol....
Maybe sell them to some one for a track day? lasts a few laps??

I'd get something out of them prior to replacing personally. They are worn yes, but not dead. Personal preference I guess? Bang them on eBay and get a few beers would be worthwhile.

Reactions: s3dave