S3 Front discs

calsonic

Reaction score
Had some EBC dotted and grooved front discs on the car and they warped badly after a very short period of time. What discs do people recommend for the S3. Has anyone experienced warping of the OEM discs ?

Thanks

Thanks for that info, Are there any specific tools required or any special fitting instructions for changing the front discs on a 1999 S3. I am fairly compitent mechanically. How long should they take to change ?. I would have thought around 30 or 40 minutes per side.

I've never actually changed the discs and pads on my S3 but I would assume its very straight forward. Get yourself a piston winding tool from halfords and thats all you should need (apart from the usual tools)

Oh and perhaps some copper grease. Discs are normally held on by a screw which is easy to remove.

Hope this helps.

Yea thats what I thought it would be. easy enough. Thanks

should be very easy, the only problem I had was removing the little screw holding the disc on to the hub for fitting, so make shure you coat the ****** with WD40 and try and get the screw out in one piece!

I find an impact driver works very well for this and it just so happens I have one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

45 mins for the first side ..... 30 mins for the 2nd.
fairly straight forward.

as for recommedations - black diamonds, drilled and grooved - great stopping power - no fade what so ever!

Fully agree with S3_MCD, Black Diamond discs/pads all round, they are /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/swear.gif hot.

But the little screw can be a b'stard to remove.

Also, I use a standard G-clamp for pushing the caliper piston back in, about a fiver from Wickes...

[ QUOTE ]
Also, I use a standard G-clamp for pushing the caliper piston back in, about a fiver from Wickes...

[/ QUOTE ]

Doesn't work on the rear though and the right tool for the job is only about £10 from halfrauds - just a thought! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

I had bought some of the Brembo items from GSF......cost £110 for bothdiscs and pagid pads!

Look OEM and an improvement on the originals for sure!

decal1.jpg

Lovely wheels dude /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ok.gif They look brand new... shame about the tyres /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

can you give us a picture of the whole car Mike as I've thought about these wheels... Thanks

ive got a brembo setup and the second pair of discs have warped, anyone got any suggestions of some good discs?

I would like the Brembo discs like Mike's. I called GSF, and they don't stock them...grrr! So does anyone else know where to try? Failing to find anything, the choice looks like it will be between ATE from eurocarparts and zimmerman from GSF.

I'd be interested to hear any other opinions.

Cheers /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I'm going to need new front discs soon and looking at black diamond drilled/grooved but a little concerned about reports of drilled discs 'cracking'. Has anyone experienced this with black diamond discs?

[ QUOTE ]
I'm going to need new front discs soon and looking at black diamond drilled/grooved but a little concerned about reports of drilled discs 'cracking'. Has anyone experienced this with black diamond discs?

[/ QUOTE ]

no problem with mine.... and that is with hard driving.
I believe its "normal" for drilled disc to show small fracture lines spreading from the holes, but these are very small, not what i would call 'cracking'.

that said mine are fine, and offer far better brake feel with no fade whatsoever!

good choice

Cool, may order some at the end of the month with the preditor pads.

I was going to get the preditors because they are also 'dust reducing' pads. What are the Ferodo's like?
Obviously i want pads that reduce fade but i dont really want pads that need to warm up alot before they work properly. Don't fancy being caught if i have to brake hard on motorway journeys with cold pads/discs.

I recently replaced my pads and discs at the front. I went for the following:

Tarox G88, 40 Groove discs
Tarox Strada Pads
BF Goodridge braided hoses all round
ATE Super Blue Brake Fluild.

This all cost about £320, fitted by myself..

I chose to go for grooved ones as i heard too many stories of drilled ones cracking.

Massive improvement over stock setup, no brake fade at all.. Well Happy !!

I've considered this set up Pal_S3_turbo but i heard that the Tarox G88 discs get through pads really quickley. How are you finding the wear of them?

[ QUOTE ]
ive got a brembo setup and the second pair of discs have warped, anyone got any suggestions of some good discs?

[/ QUOTE ]

Jabba have started doing a 2piece AP racing setup as a direct replacement for LCR Brembo discs, theyre not cheap but I dont think you would warp these, even on your trackday sessions. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Jabba have started doing a 2piece AP racing setup as a direct replacement for LCR Brembo discs, theyre not cheap but I dont think you would warp these, even on your trackday sessions. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Is there a pic of these?

Yeah I said they werent cheap. But AP Racing stuff is excellent quality used by most the topclass race teams in this country. Also remeber for £540 inc vat your not only gettin the disks but also alloy bells and all the mounting bolts. The next time you replaced the disks it would be alot cheaper( just disks).