starter noise?

JB_A3_Turbo

Reaction score
Usually from cold. Just after I've turned the key and my car starts it makes a strange motor low pitch squealing noise that lasts about a second. It sounds like a the sort of noise you'd get on a couple of cogs skipping past each other.

It doesn't usually happen when it's warm or the second time you start it.

It starts up quite happily first time everytime- but just with this bizzare noise just after it fires up- almost sounds like the starter motor squeal noise you can get if you hold the key on to long when starting the engine?

Any ideas?

You need a new starter.
I think the problem is something like the starter arm not being pulled out of the way of the flywheel fast enough, so it makes that nasty nasty nasty noise.

You describe the classic symptoms - only when cold, nasty whirr sound that tails off fast, etc.

Thanks, Just found some more info on another audi forum

"I had that same noise during start up. I took it to audi who told me my starter motor was sticky an suggested that I replace it. I took it to my mechanic who simply cleaned it bringin it to tip top condition. He told me that the starter motor was simply dirty due to dust deposits entering it. now....no more noise."

"In ref; to the squealing noise after start up you will find this is common to these cars, it is just the starter motor staying engaged for a brief moment .

There are two possible remidies Firstly loosen all the starter motor bolts and retighten or go for the complete cure which may envolve a new starter motor bendix bush (if available)"

worth a shot -surely instead of £150 for a new one?

I had mine done under warranty, so didn't explore other options. By all means try a clean up if you have someone you are confident to do that for you.

on my 1st A3 it did this from purchase. Knowing what it was it didnt really worry me and i never got to claiming for a new one under warranty.

It made the noise for 6 months and it didnt get any worse. As far as i know (i'm no expert though) its not going to do any harm so i would just leave it to fail or try loosening and re-tightening everything like you have said.

Dave

i am 100% certain that this problem is the same i had. All you have to do is remove the starter motor and grease it. There was a writeup on one of the sites which i cannot remember, however, you need a high temp multipurpose grease and about 1-2 hrs.

Remove the starter motor from the car. Then theres two bolts on the back of the starter motor which you remove. The top cover then slides off, if it doesnt then you may have to use a screwdriver to prize it alittle. You also have to remove the nut holding the earth strap. Once the top cover is off, use a cotton bud tp get grease into all the teeth etc of the cogs.

Its something along those lines as this is what i done. I have been searching for the original post but i cant seem to find it. Hope this helps alittle.