Sky InsuranceJMB Retrofits
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Dan-Jnr
  • 1 Post By kwistof

Thread: what head units does everyone have?

1st Gear

Status

what head units does everyone have?

hi just wondering what headunits you all have installed in your a3/s3. aftermarket oem or other does anyone have dab?

2. # ADS
    ADS

Noggies ruuuule!

Status
    I'm still on the Audi Chorus tape deck unit! Matches interior and with 6CD changer and Bose it sounds good enough for my cheesy 80s rock ballads.

Speaking of DAB when are they turning off the analogue radio transmitters?

EDIT: 2015 is the target but nothing set in stone. On that basis perhaps it's worth looking into DAB if you plan on keeping the car for a while.
    Last edited by s3mad_dude; 29th January 2014 at 20:21.

3rd Gear

Status
    oem from a2 i think

mark
    S3 2003........REVO..........Stage 1...........218G/S.......÷..........°8..........=..........272bhp ......368Nm.....271 ft lbs

Neutral

Status
    RNS-E from A4

1st Gear

Status
    Pioneer x3500dab... Pain in the arse to fit though...

1st Gear

Status
    RNS-E from A4
    Jit

Audi S3

1st Gear

Status
    alpine out of my 150dB focus, struggling to get it flush though, any tips?

3rd Gear

Status
    I had the RNS-E in mine with bluetooth module and BOSE. Music on 2 x 4GB SD Cards. Personally the best OEM headunit combination.
    Currently for sale may I add in classifieds.

Last edited by Dan-Jnr; 30th January 2014 at 00:17.
    bigray likes this.
    2007 - Imola Yellow- Audi S3 - 305
    [8L BLOG] [8P BLOG]

1st Gear

Status
    i had one of those in my leon! had no idea they are worth so much, regret selling it with the car now lol

Neutral

Status
    Chorus II with a Aux+iPod box hidden behind the dash.

Perfect mix of OEM and contemporary!

6th Gear

Status
    Alpine flip out screen,
    Its a poor match with the dash when folded in but looks fine when out,
    Noggy Blue 2001 S3

I ask questions because i change my mind so much. If i ask questions you have already covered... just leave it be?

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by eightfour7two View Post
    Chorus II with a Aux+iPod box hidden behind the dash.

Perfect mix of OEM and contemporary!
    that sounds like the thing im after what head unit is that? any pics im new too audis only having bought my s3 on saturday. so still trying too figure out what everything is!

Neutral

Status
    Pioneer Avic F30BT - 7" screen, nav, Bluetooth, DVD, rear USB / (optional) Ipod lead , rear camera option. Got one in excellent condition with updated maps for under £400 on ebay including a rear camera. Needs a few quid to get all the correct adaptors to work with BOSE, plus you need to modify an A4 fascia adapter, probably another £30 - £40.

Audi Virgin

Status
    Alpine CDE-W235BT and it looks lovely in the S3 when the colour is changed to the red setting it matches the dash lights perfectly

3rd Gear

Status

South East Events Moderator

Status

My Social Networking

Follow kwistof On Twitter Visit kwistof's Youtube Channel Visit kwistof's Instagram Channel
    I still have the OEM headunit in my pre-facelift S3 which I believe is the Audi Concert 1 headunit with the tape deck and 6 CD changer in the boot.

Literally had an Xcarlink cable/box come through the post - so once that is hooked up I will be able to use my Iphone to stream music via bluetooth and still be able to use all the controls on the headunit and retain my 6 CD changer.
    2000 S3 APY

18" BBS RSII with Michelin PS3s, 20mm H&R adapters, Relentless 3" DP and Sports cat, B5 V1 induction kit, cone filter+heat shield, Forge 007P, Awesome GTI SMF, AP coilovers, Facelift rear lights, Full Powerflex poly bush kit, R32 Rear ARB, SAI delete, N249 by-pass, Upgraded Engine mounts with Polytek, Stage 1 CC at Badger 5.

Defo worth the wait :)

Status
    I have a Sony GTX500, main reason was I got it as a present and it colour matches perfectly with the red and white and it plays MP3 too

1st Gear

Status
    Xcarlink looks like a good bit of kit! Will possibly go for 1 of those also like the look of the alpine cde w235bt decisions

1st Gear

Status
    I have the RNS-E sat nav unit in my S3 but I'll be changing the Bose as it sounds sh#t IMO so all my morel/DLS stuff is going in with a Audison bit one........

Cheers Dan

Noggies ruuuule!

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by kwistof View Post
    I still have the OEM headunit in my pre-facelift S3 which I believe is the Audi Concert 1 headunit with the tape deck and 6 CD changer in the boot.

Literally had an Xcarlink cable/box come through the post - so once that is hooked up I will be able to use my Iphone to stream music via bluetooth and still be able to use all the controls on the headunit and retain my 6 CD changer.
    Do you have a link for this product Kwistof? Sounds like what I need as it costs me a fortune in blank CDs burning stuff from iTunes! ;-) Having said that I'd miss my CD changer if I didn't have it!

1st Gear

Status
    AUDI::XCarLink that's the link! I nearly had one for my old Bora but never got around to it reading this has made me consider one again.

1st Gear

Status
    if i have a facelift my car is double din yes? i cant find a fascia anywhere too fit a double din headunit? can anyone enlighten me?

Neutral

Status

Do you now anyone who has fitted one of these? are they a success, good quality etc?
    Audi S3 AMK, Badger 5 Tip with Cone and Heat Shield, Forge 007P (green spring), de-cat pipe

Status

My Social Networking

Follow kwistof On Twitter Visit kwistof's Youtube Channel Visit kwistof's Instagram Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by s3mad_dude View Post
    Do you have a link for this product Kwistof? Sounds like what I need as it costs me a fortune in blank CDs burning stuff from iTunes! ;-) Having said that I'd miss my CD changer if I didn't have it!
    Wallm0nkey posted the link but this is the exact product I ordered- (SKU718)

Audi Wireless Bluetooth Streaming Handsfree Interface ::AUDI::XCarLink

You don't lose your CD changer with this product though ;-)
    s3mad_dude likes this.
    2000 S3 APY

18" BBS RSII with Michelin PS3s, 20mm H&R adapters, Relentless 3" DP and Sports cat, B5 V1 induction kit, cone filter+heat shield, Forge 007P, Awesome GTI SMF, AP coilovers, Facelift rear lights, Full Powerflex poly bush kit, R32 Rear ARB, SAI delete, N249 by-pass, Upgraded Engine mounts with Polytek, Stage 1 CC at Badger 5.

Status

My Social Networking

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey View Post
    Do you now anyone who has fitted one of these? are they a success, good quality etc?
    I only found out about them from people mentioning them on here tbh.

Got the product in the post yesterday and it did look and feet very good quality.

I can't say I've read any bad reviews tbh - just that it's a bit pricey for 'just' an Iphone/handsfree kit cable, but try and find another one that will keep your 6 CD changer, allow the use of controls on the OEM head unit and also incorporate Bluetooth streaming for the music and hands free.....

I'm getting Nigel (NHN) to fit the product to my car next week and he said he has fitted many others to other Audis all with no issues. I'm pretty sure if it was a rubbish product he would have advised me to look at something else as Nigel is very clued up.
    2000 S3 APY

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Bennys3 View Post
    if i have a facelift my car is double din yes? i cant find a fascia anywhere too fit a double din headunit? can anyone enlighten me?
    They are available but extremely rare. Most that say they will fit, won't. You need to get an A4 one and have to remove a few mm off the sides and bottom to get it in. Took me about half an hour with a Dremel for a decent fit, about an hour to get it almost perfect.

1st Gear

Status

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Bennys3 View Post
    You don't get a facia plate for the 8l s3 mate I'm in the same boat looking for one swell but you only get an A4 one which you have to trim , looks like i will go for the RNS-E, seen your car in dundee looks a tidy car.

1st Gear

Status
    Can't afford too go for the rns-e I got a grom iphone thing too connect too standard head unit now! What car are you driving?

Neutral

Status
    Dolphin grey 02 plate facelift

Neutral

Status
    I only found out about them from people mentioning them on here tbh.

Got the product in the post yesterday and it did look and feet very good quality.

I can't say I've read any bad reviews tbh - just that it's a bit pricey for 'just' an Iphone/handsfree kit cable, but try and find another one that will keep your 6 CD changer, allow the use of controls on the OEM head unit and also incorporate Bluetooth streaming for the music and hands free.....

I'm getting Nigel (NHN) to fit the product to my car next week and he said he has fitted many others to other Audis all with no issues. I'm pretty sure if it was a rubbish product he would have advised me to look at something else as Nigel is very clued up.
    Hi Kwistof,

How did the fitting go? goo product?
    Audi S3 AMK, Badger 5 Tip with Cone and Heat Shield, Forge 007P (green spring), de-cat pipe

Status

My Social Networking

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey View Post
    Hi Kwistof,

How did the fitting go? goo product?
    I didn't fit it personally but the Xcarlink box is now in and it's all working perfectly - didn't looks like a complete head ache to fit.

Works better than I expected as well, really simple and quick to use

I'd recommend one for sure
    2000 S3 APY

Neutral

Status
    Anyone got a non-std headunit that runs the standard CD Changer?

1st Gear

Status
    I have a Kenwood KDC -BT73DAB, Bluetooth,hands free,front and rear USB connection, cd, good bit off kit all for under £200