AH FabricationsBadger5
    Reverse Gear

Status

S3 running problems...

Hi all,

Hoping that someone can help.

Problem 1 is cold start problems. When it started up the car starts as you would expect the revs go to around 1200 - 1300 however within seconds the car drops down to around 500 - 600 sounding like its about to cut out. It does this 2 or 3 times and then idols back at 1200ish until the choke is off. The car does hunt slightly and when the revs go up you can hear the turbo whistling and dumping. I have recently fitted a badger 5 tip open ended filter, forge 008, n249 bypass and a new MAF. This happened before I fitted all of the above.

Idol control valve? Air leak?

Problem 2 is a boost problem, sometimes the car doesn't feel as quick as others. Its REVO stage 1 remapped but when you put your foot down it feels like it doesn't get going till higher up the rev range, other times the boost feels like it kicks in much lower down and harder which I presume is normal. The only way to describle it is more like a n/a engine. Also the car sometimes double dumps, but its a totally different noise to what the forge makes and when it does this the on boost sound is different. When I fitted the badger 5 a couple of the pipes that go from the top of the block into a round plastic valve (excuse my lack of knowledge) are very soft.

Could that be the problem? Air leak?

I presume the 2 faults are linked and its looking like the car is going to have to go into the garage for a smoke test but I was hoping someone else has had the same problems so I could take alook at it myself.

Any help would be great.

Cheers Stu

2. # ADS
    ADS

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    Sounds like an airleak (and sounds big enough to cause both issues you mention)... check for split pipes and scan for fault codes in VCDS...

What engine code is your S3?

<tuffty/>
    Silver 2001 AMK S3. Silver alcantara interior... now with added powarrrrrrrr, torques. VAGCOM + KII-USB. >> My build thread...

Reverse Gear

Status
    Its a BAM.

Whats the VCDS? It was plugged in recently with a snap on reader when I changed the maf and didn't show any codes?

Ill get him to smoke test it as I couldn't see anything when I checked it last time.

Thanks for your help mate.
    2002 S3 8L BAM Stage 1 revo, Badger 5 TIP, Forge 008.

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    VCDS is software thats specifically for diagnosing VAG cars... there is more info on this in the stickies..

IMPORTANT! - When posting asking for help... - PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING (UPDATED)

VCDS lite and an ebay cable is the cheapest way to get you going... generic code readers don't tell the full picture as VAG have extended the OBDII P code standard

<tuffty/>
    Silver 2001 AMK S3. Silver alcantara interior... now with added powarrrrrrrr, torques. VAGCOM + KII-USB. >> My build thread...