How well does the 1.8 engine cope with big mileage

comdw

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Looking at approved used Audi S3s at the moment. Lots of them seem very high mileage. Should I be worried about buying a 2001 S3 with 60k miles on it for example?

I suppose it may be too early to tell as the S3 has only been around a few years, but hasn't that same 1.8 engine been used in other cars before that?

So is it a case of bye-bye engine after 100k miles or keep on rollin till 200k??

Hi. I'd expect you'd see 200K out a standard engine, they're supposed to be rated for half a million km.

Personally I doubt a seriously modifed car would get to 200K without some work, but a chipped one was sold on here last year, it had done 130K miles. Wouldn't like to speculate on how much was left of course. It was impressive though.

60K certainly wouldn't put me off. Let us know how you get on. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

I've got a 2000X car with 52K on the clock, and it's never missed a beat. Can't say what it'll be like in the future of coarse...

Dan

I was about to post an identical message - I too am hoping to get back in an S3 (had 2 in the past and am missing the 265bhp with chip upgrade!). I'm looking at a 74k car for £12,500... will be checking it out tomorrow to see how it runs and will let you know.

Pete

On the high milers, I've been informed that the 80K service is a pretty hefty one @ £800.00, does anyone actually know?. Like Audi Girl, I've completed 38k in my little beauty. I'm looking to buy my S3 next year at the end of it's company lease, it would have done 60K by then, won't stop me from buying it, I guess as I have been the sole driver it ain't going to be too bad.

I did 40 thousand miles in my S3 in one year bought it on 37 and sold it at 77k. Only problems i had were the anti roll bar suspension bushes.

The engine too a severe punishment too. Sold it for 12,500 to a dealer in Slough - make sure you don't buy my old car anyone.

Plus the stone chips were a nightmare

80k miles is cam belt change time for post 2000MY cars. This costs £300ish and so will bump up the price of the service.

2000MY and earlier cars only need the belt changeing at 120K miles, though I personally intend to get the job done at 80k if I go the modding route with my car.

Cheers,
Dan

ive done 20k since new last august and it just keeps getting better. was strugling to get 300miles on a full tank now getting at least an extra 50+ found that running it on optimax all the time helps it run better aswell tried other makes of fuel reg & super none even touched shell.

my audi a3 1.8sport has done 77000 miles and i stil running sweet as.