possible cv joint noise!!!!

Sm3g

STANDARD S3 (225bhp)
Reaction score
alright guys,,

I have a 02 s3 and when driving I can feel and hear from the drivers side foot well like a constant knock noise especially when driving at around 30mph and even more so when I turn left,,,car has just passed mot and it needed a new ball joint and track rod end,but this hasn't cured nothing,,,so today I jacked it up took of the wheel and iv noticed the CV JOINT rubber is ripped all the way around,,,im no expert but do you think this could be my problem as I would of thought all the greese has maybe come out and not the CV JOINT bearing are knakard??????

any advise would be a big help....thanks guys

Reactions: epox
Yes, the CV boot has split, so all the grease has leaked out, then it will start to have a rotational knock, and like you say, it's worse when you turn left and apply some power. Now you can try and replace the CV boot, it 'may' fix your problem, but since the drive shaft is coming out, you might aswell just replace the whole CV.

thanks jo jo ,,I thought as much just didn't want to pay and replace a full cv joint and it not be that,,,and like you said il deffo get the full cv joint as think that's the best way,rather than just getting a new boot and re greesing it back up cos the bearings will prob be bone dry and knakard by now anyway,,,,,many thanks again

I'm surprised the MOT garage didn't spot a split CV boot....

Split CV boot is an instant fail, bring that up with the garage letting you drive away in a potentially dangerous car, might help get the job done cheaper :)

How long should the front CV joints last? I'm replacing both on one side and debating replacing the other, just so it's done, but that side isn't knocking yet, nor are any boots split. Just concerned it could be quite worn and not functioning as well as it could be?

Might be cheaper and easier to buy a new/remanufactured driveshaft than doing the CV joints individually