i just bought an a3! woo lol (now with pictures lol)

lol4fun

Reaction score
hi, im new here and ive just got an a3 1.8t :) completely standard currently, getting a dump valve and cold air intake when the post man turns up hopefully. its a pre facelift 1997 model, 150k on the clock but was very cheap, doing the cambelt, waterpump and putting 5w30 fully synthetic in it tomorrow as i was told 10w40 semi isnt good for high temperatures inside turbos.

ive fixed a few minor mechanical problems but want to do more things:
i want to fit a fmic, any recommended budget kits? and how hard is it?
ive heard horror storys about a single flash of the oil light and the engine is toast, is it easy to fit an oil pressure gauge?
where would be a good place to get a boost gauge boost feed from? also how would i turn up the boost and whats a safe limit to go to?
the engine has a slight stutter/miss on idle especially when hot, i presume this is a dodgy coil pack or 2 or is it something else?
how would i test for boost/vacuum leaks?
are there any other important things that need checking or changing?
any free or cheap mods to give more power?

thanks in advance,
tom

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Vex182
27572d1234665383-09-heritage-big-ra.jpg

Reactions: slowcoach3, Vex182 and sssline
As said get some pictures!
As for your oil worries the way most people try to avoid problems is dropping the sump and cleaning that and the pick up. There is quite a good guide with pictures on here.
It's worth finding someone local with VCDS to give your car a scan too!

Tut lol its an a3 and its blue, will take some pictures in a few minutes. Does this forum have a preferred upload site for pictures?

Some people use Facebook, others photobucket, any will do! Read through the faq sections mate, a lot of your questions will be answered there

Congratulations on your purchase and welcome to the forum bud!

Just a quick note, you'll be better off using 5w40 fully syth. Also there's loads of tuning/FMIC info in stickies so worth having a good read of all that

like i said, a completely standard a3 in blue :)

and here it is with no cambelt on it lol, its back together now and seems quicker

I posted pictures but it said it needs admin approval

oh and also where would i get a copy of vcds from? i have a cable somewhere i think

nice one, thankyou.
good job i did the cambelt, the idler pulley had gone blue with heat, had melted belt stuck to it and the tensioner was seized solid, very lucky escape if you ask me!

ive also noticed a jolt when you lift off and press the accelerator could this be a worn dogbone mount or a tired gearbox and worn driveshafts.

edit: scrap that, just bought a powerflex bush for my dogbone mount, its almost certainly going to be worn out, made a hell of a difference on my cupra r.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had the same and a powerflex dogbone did help! I am planning to do my other mounts as I figure they will be tired too.

My Leon, dynod at 270bhp before a fmic and bigger turbo and new manifold were fitted, absolutely mental, had to be in excess of 300bhp easy

Just fitted a battery for some audio when I decide what to put in the boot. Choice of pushchair or subs and consequently happy Mrs or ****** off Mrs lol