Need more reliable power- S3

aterro

S3 YO
Reaction score
Basically the above.

Im currently running stage 1 with filter and tip, and in all honesty its not as quick as i hoped.
( this isn't down to the cars performance, its performing fine and the engine is perfect)
( its due to me getting used to it, and having bigger powered cars)

If i carnt get the car to a better reliable power, then ill sell up for a e46 M3....

By "better reliable power" i mean;
just as reliable as now and quicker haha

I don't want to do any internal engine modifications, just external mods, e.g. turbo, manifold, fmic etc.

Id like the car to pull more, and just have more power in all honesty.

So what are my best options?

Turbo wise? TFSI turbo? What turbo are these? Or a hybrid straight fit unit to a S3 8L?

I don't care about figures, just how it responds.

I don't want to do any internal engine modifications, just external mods, e.g. turbo, manifold, fmic etc.

You won't be going above 300bhp/320lbfts if that's the case - and if you do it won't be reliable and will be a ticking time bomb with OEM rods.

Rods would definitely need to be forged if you want to start talking about hybrid K04s and TFSI conversions and going for a lot more power.

Is it definitely running OK? As with a similar setup (map and a B5 TIP) I have 270 ish horse power, which is enough to see off a lot of other road users, ergo plenty fast for now. Useable power I mean.

The cars are heavy, because of the Quattro. When you say you're use to faster cars, what out of interest? Just wondering if you're like me and have come from "fast" Renaults that feel fast because of their poor build quality, but in real world are slower than the Panzers...!

If you are a power hunter An e46 M3 is not for you..they are just too refined, and would soon get bored.
If you are not prepared to do internal engine work, you are at a stalemate and i would go for something Jap, supra etc....

If you are a power hunter An e46 M3 is not for you..they are just to refined, and would soon get bored.
If you are not prepared to do internal engine work, you are at a stalemate and i would go for something Jap, supra etc....

Agreed. Or lighter. Cupra R with the same mods would be quicker in gear due to less weight, I presume?

so without rods ( i presume they are easy to bend with more power) i carnt really get much more significant power?

So if i ran a hybrid unit or TFSI turbo;

id need; (my presumption)

Forged rods- PEC ETC
ARP bolts
Custom map
Turbo unit itself
Manifold,down pipe into a exhaust system.
Bigger injectors and a bigger FPR? ( i don't know what standard FPR reg is)

i Best get researching then :)

The issue here, as I see it, is that without fitting rods, what you actually want is the SMALLEST turbo possible, that is still capable of giving you the power you want.

Fitting a bigger turbo, then running it at lower boost, may well net you decent bhp, but very low torque due to the low boost, so as a result it won't 'feel' as urgent.

Running a smaller turbo like the existing ko4 closer to it's limit should still land you just inside the 'safe' rod window, and give you the aggressive kind of power it sounds like you want.

when I run my ko4-064 (tfsi) at just 1 bar, I get around 300bhp, but only around 260lbft, so it's incredibly linear and smooth, not overly punchy. run at 1.5 bar it produces almost another 100lbft, and feels incredibly punchy, but of course, you're into 350bhp+ power at that point and in desperate need of rods.

If you want to keep it stock internally, I'd suggest a decent compliment of st2 mods with the ko4.

if you want more, fit rods, and the tfsi k04 and associated parts, it's truly fantastic :)

Reactions: Westy and flying oyster