How to fit Coilovers

elucidate

Reaction score
If a certain company stop telling lies, and actually send me my coilovers this week, I'll have some to fit this weekend.

I fitted a set about 5 years ago in my Golf, and as far as I remember that seemed fairly straight forward.

I recently had brand new top mounts fitted, so I assume I wont need those, what else will I need beside the actual coilovers themselves?

Any bushes? special bits needed?

I know as far as tools, I need a top mount tool, £4 from GSF or whatever /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Do I really need spring compressors? I know to put the coilovers in, I dont need to compress anything, but do you need the compressors to remove the old stuff?

/Rich, you're gonna have an e-mail about all this shortly! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

You will need the strut bottom mount spreading tool to release it from the wheel bearing housing. Either that or file down a socket or lever it with something. The tool really makes it easy tho.

You might find that you do indeed need spring compressors to get the driver's side strut out. With it uncompressed sometimes you can't lower the wishbone enough as the drive shaft can't extend enough.

You don't need to replace any of the bumpstops on the rear. They never wear out for some reason. I asked a parts guy and he said they hadn't sold any or fitted new ones for a very long time.

Have a read of this page --> http://www.nclh.org/car/coilover_howto/

A3 suspension is very easy to remove IMO. Much easier than some cars I've worked on.

Cool.

Thanks for that

Are spring compressors/mount spreading tools readily available and cheap?

I am VERY poor right now.....

EDIT - Thats a REALLY good guide!!

You can get the spreading tool from Audi. Ask for "special tool 3424". Some dealers won't sell them to you, others will. Can't remember how much it cost. I can check me receipt if you like.
If you have real trouble, you can borrow mine as its small enough to post. But don't lose it otherwise I would have to come round and beat you /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

As for the spring compressors they are about a tenner from halfords.

For a spreading too, i use a socket screw driver hex key, ground down 2 side of it, ans used that as a wedge..worked perfectly!

Rich