Engine dilemma HELP!!

Wull

Reaction score
The engine in my 1997 A3 1.8 sport gave up the ghost before Christmas and I managed to source a replacement a few weeks ago.

when I sourced one I was making sure it had the same AGN engine code and the one I bought was from a 1999 A3 and now I'm struggling to work out if certain parts are different from my old engine and the new one.

can anyone confirm or tell me what's different between the two with regards to sensors,inlet manifold etc etc....I'm wondering if I'll need to strip everything off and or replace lots of sensors which will rack up the never ending repair bill.

cheers

What specifically are you trying to swap over bud? The 1.8t engine as a whole is transferable, but a few differences like vvt on the newer models require the hardware to match.

Tom

AGN? I assume your current car is normally aspirated then and not a turbo?

<tuffty/>

Yeah its the n/a 1.8 sport model with 123bhp.

Well the plan was for the replacement engine to slot in place,but my mechanic phoned me today to tell me that the inlet seemed to be different on the replacement engine,so he's worried that the engine loom will need messed around with etc etc.

What I'm needing to know is whether everything from my 1997 AGN engine will fit on the 1999 AGN engine as he doesn't want to start stripping it down then realise it ain't going to work.

Should the 1999 AGN engine I bought fit in my 1997 a3 that has a AGN engine fitted?

The basic engine should fit fine... there may be some 'wiring' differences but if you use the ancillaries from your old engine then tbh there shouldn't be any issue... the basic engine is essentially then same...

<tuffty/>

What about the inlet manifold?will the one that came with the new engine still fit?

Last edited:
What about the inlet manifold?will the one that came with the new engine still fit?

No idea... don't see to many NA's here and tbh I haven't actually seen one close enough to take that much notice... however... its is a 20v head so the mani from yours will fit if push come to shove

<tuffty/>