Draining coolant and refilling, How to?

willh92

Reaction score
I'm looking to drain the coolant out of my '99 S3.
How would I go about doing so, anyone got a step by step? Likewise for refilling?

or what is the best point to drain it out from?

cheers

will

Cheers tuffty, good guide there.
How do you bleed the system?

Also, does refilling the system from the header tank fill the radiators up if the drain point is on the rad? Cos on some things I've had to fill the rad first then from the tank.

I had no problem refilling from the header tank just kept the heaters on and squeezing the pipes.

When doing rods and head swaps etc on 20v's I normally drain from the rad tap then drain out the back of the block...

Use new OE banjo sealing washers for the turbo line once drained and then fill through the expansion bottle...

Once the level in the tank has reached the point its not draining down I normally leave the engine idling for a while with the expansion tank cap removed topping up as required......

Be aware the coolant level will rise a bit as the temp increases but you need to get to a point that the stat opens to ensure the system is filling

<tuffty/>

When doing rods and head swaps etc on 20v's I normally drain from the rad tap then drain out the back of the block...

Use new OE banjo sealing washers for the turbo line once drained and then fill through the expansion bottle...

Once the level in the tank has reached the point its not draining down I normally leave the engine idling for a while with the expansion tank cap removed topping up as required......

Be aware the coolant level will rise a bit as the temp increases but you need to get to a point that the stat opens to ensure the system is filling

<tuffty/>

this is what he means

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-...y-check-when-its-cold-warning-skin-burns.html

Good point... this is what happens if you are not 'paying attention' (shall we say :))

Never had an issue like this running the engine with the cap off BUT.... you can't leave it... I always keep an eye on it and NEVER undo a cap on a hot engine... let the engine cool down a bit first then slowly undo the cap to release the pressure whilst keeping an eye on the level in the expansion tank... if it rises as you undo then tighten back a turn or two and move away....

Its a bit like undo a pop bottle thats been shaken only coolant WILL strip your skin... (as demonstrated by the lovely Andrew)...

Not a good place to be (hope its healing ok mate)

<tuffty/>