TTRS/ RS3 calipers?

Gops

Badger 5 Edition
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Just a thought.. They're getting quite cheap.. Does anyone know the piston size? I know you can run 370mm x 32 discs (pretty big!) but are they any better or are they a better option than the LCR/brembo GT kits?

Many thabks

Gops :)

Just found the answer. 40/44 which is bigger than the 36/40 that the LCR/brembo GT are.. I'm guessing the discs would have to be custom as the RS is 5x112 but would 370 fit under 18's? I might buy a set!

365's were a close fit under my 18's. but i'd expect enough clearance for discs, it'll be wheel style that dictates fitment, as to whether the calipers touch the back of the rim or not

I'm thinking they'd be close the the LCR calipers and fit behind the RSTT wheels I have. No way they'll fit under the 17's! Just reading around, it seems the mk5 lads upgrade their MC.. Any real need for these? These could be a desired upgrade as they're around £400 on eBay, some for less!! I think custom bells and rotors from Bill would be nice with these.. Since I'll be retiring the s3 from daily use, I really wanted to take it to tracks so I can really enjoy the power! I like the Brembo's currently but I think they could be a little better..

First port of call would be better pads and discs on your brembos mate.

the TTRS calipers are lug mount, so you're fairly limited with regards to fitment and carrier design. As standard the 370mm discs have a large set back, so even re-drilled I think they'd hit the ball joint, and the piston sizes are really pretty huge. Wouldn't make for a great pedal feel I don't think.

I'm also not aware of any bolt on master cylinder upgrade for our cars :(

Reactions: Gops
I asked this same question on facebook.
They are silly cheap,
Somebody said its because there has been a big recall on them, Audi replacing the lot because of noise.
If that true surely they belong to Audi? god knows
Alot of the big Porsche calipers are lug mount too but plenty of people fit those.
Piston wise... how does it compare to the Q7 / porsche items?
How on earth my Brembos can be that much worse than others is beyond me,
As far as i can tell ive never had a fault as such... every component bar the calipers have been changed in a search for good brakes... ive not found it yet though

I don't mean to sound like a broken record Paul, but have you ever tried decent pads? and by decent, I mean DS3000, Mintex 1177, Carbotech XP8, CL RC6, those kind of pads? instead of run of the mill 'fast road' pads.

I'll do the maths on piston sizes later. Sounds big to me though.

Be aware that TTRS and RS3 share the same caliper but NOT the same disc. Offset is different.

I tried Ds2500 pads and a set of Bills grooved discs.
With ATE super racing Blue fluid...
Still shocking on the road let alone a track

Gops, get the ttrs calipers and give me your brembos :eyebrows:

Reactions: Gops
My issue is... There must be a reason it's not been tried before ?
And I'm guessing pads for the ttrs or rs3 will be expensive ...

I'm gonna try some ds3000's first.. Not in any rush here. I will try a set of rs3 calipers if bill could make me some carriers and discs that'll fit.. I have a few plans in the pipelines but I'm taking it pretty slow.

First port of call would be better pads and discs on your brembos mate.

the TTRS calipers are lug mount, so you're fairly limited with regards to fitment and carrier design. As standard the 370mm discs have a large set back, so even re-drilled I think they'd hit the ball joint, and the piston sizes are really pretty huge. Wouldn't make for a great pedal feel I don't think.

I'm also not aware of any bolt on master cylinder upgrade for our cars :(

I heard someone mention T5 master cylinders that are larger but it could be a myth?

I must sound like a broken record but I don't think the pedal will be bad at all based on mine. The 18Z caliper pistons have a surface area of 2750mm2 and if the 40/44mm quoted is to be believed, these run 2777.2mm2 - not a huge increase. It really depends if you like a bit of modulation or that "modern car feel" which is more like a switch than a pedal. My original brakes were most likely not very well bled and worn but going to the 18Z actually felt better. Of course the pedal travel has to have increased somewhat over an OEM setup but it is by no means unsafe or a bad thing that so many seem to make out.

Sure you could stick with the classic LCRs but at the end of the day it's your choice.

I've got the Porsche 996 turbo cailpers on my car. And the area on the pistons are 2653mm2. The piston sizes are 44/38, they work really well, so I don't know if 40/44 for the rs brakes are too much.