Volks AutosMonster Motorsport
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Prawn
  • 1 Post By S3 Rav

Thread: TTRS/ RS3 calipers?

6th gear @7000rpm

Status

TTRS/ RS3 calipers?

Just a thought.. They're getting quite cheap.. Does anyone know the piston size? I know you can run 370mm x 32 discs (pretty big!) but are they any better or are they a better option than the LCR/brembo GT kits?

Many thabks

Gops
    Quote Originally Posted by <tuffty/> View Post
    its either mapped or broken...

2. # ADS
    ADS

6th gear @7000rpm

Status
    Just found the answer. 40/44 which is bigger than the 36/40 that the LCR/brembo GT are.. I'm guessing the discs would have to be custom as the RS is 5x112 but would 370 fit under 18's? I might buy a set!

Photographic Moderator

Status

My Social Networking

Follow Broken Byzan On Twitter Add Broken Byzan on Facebook Add Broken Byzan on Google+ Visit Broken Byzan's Youtube Channel
    365's were a close fit under my 18's. but i'd expect enough clearance for discs, it'll be wheel style that dictates fitment, as to whether the calipers touch the back of the rim or not

6th gear @7000rpm

Status
    I'm thinking they'd be close the the LCR calipers and fit behind the RSTT wheels I have. No way they'll fit under the 17's! Just reading around, it seems the mk5 lads upgrade their MC.. Any real need for these? These could be a desired upgrade as they're around £400 on eBay, some for less!! I think custom bells and rotors from Bill would be nice with these.. Since I'll be retiring the s3 from daily use, I really wanted to take it to tracks so I can really enjoy the power! I like the Brembo's currently but I think they could be a little better..

My other car is a MINI!!!!

Status
    First port of call would be better pads and discs on your brembos mate.

the TTRS calipers are lug mount, so you're fairly limited with regards to fitment and carrier design. As standard the 370mm discs have a large set back, so even re-drilled I think they'd hit the ball joint, and the piston sizes are really pretty huge. Wouldn't make for a great pedal feel I don't think.

I'm also not aware of any bolt on master cylinder upgrade for our cars
    Gops likes this.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Prawns TFSI Turbo'd 1.8T Track Car

But I know nothing so ignore me.

6th Gear

Status
    I asked this same question on facebook.
    They are silly cheap,
    Somebody said its because there has been a big recall on them, Audi replacing the lot because of noise.
    If that true surely they belong to Audi? god knows
    Alot of the big Porsche calipers are lug mount too but plenty of people fit those.
    Piston wise... how does it compare to the Q7 / porsche items?
    How on earth my Brembos can be that much worse than others is beyond me,
    As far as i can tell ive never had a fault as such... every component bar the calipers have been changed in a search for good brakes... ive not found it yet though
    Noggy Blue 2001 S3

I ask questions because i change my mind so much. If i ask questions you have already covered... just leave it be?

My other car is a MINI!!!!

Status
    I don't mean to sound like a broken record Paul, but have you ever tried decent pads? and by decent, I mean DS3000, Mintex 1177, Carbotech XP8, CL RC6, those kind of pads? instead of run of the mill 'fast road' pads.

I'll do the maths on piston sizes later. Sounds big to me though.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Prawns TFSI Turbo'd 1.8T Track Car

But I know nothing so ignore me.

2nd Gear

Status
    Be aware that TTRS and RS3 share the same caliper but NOT the same disc. Offset is different.
    '09 Lci 335d individual. M-dev stage 2, 360bhp 550ftlb. 'Undercover police edition'

6th Gear

Status
    I tried Ds2500 pads and a set of Bills grooved discs.
    With ATE super racing Blue fluid...
    Still shocking on the road let alone a track
    Noggy Blue 2001 S3

I ask questions because i change my mind so much. If i ask questions you have already covered... just leave it be?

6th Gear

Status
    Gops, get the ttrs calipers and give me your brembos
    Gops likes this.
    2000 AMK S3, Revo'd, forge 007p, B8's, H&R's, tarox g88's, ferrodo ds2500's, and in the fastest colour

6th Gear

Status
    My issue is... There must be a reason it's not been tried before ?
    And I'm guessing pads for the ttrs or rs3 will be expensive ...
    Noggy Blue 2001 S3

6th gear @7000rpm

Status
    I'm gonna try some ds3000's first.. Not in any rush here. I will try a set of rs3 calipers if bill could make me some carriers and discs that'll fit.. I have a few plans in the pipelines but I'm taking it pretty slow.

Down under

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Prawn View Post
    First port of call would be better pads and discs on your brembos mate.

the TTRS calipers are lug mount, so you're fairly limited with regards to fitment and carrier design. As standard the 370mm discs have a large set back, so even re-drilled I think they'd hit the ball joint, and the piston sizes are really pretty huge. Wouldn't make for a great pedal feel I don't think.

I'm also not aware of any bolt on master cylinder upgrade for our cars
    I heard someone mention T5 master cylinders that are larger but it could be a myth?

I must sound like a broken record but I don't think the pedal will be bad at all based on mine. The 18Z caliper pistons have a surface area of 2750mm2 and if the 40/44mm quoted is to be believed, these run 2777.2mm2 - not a huge increase. It really depends if you like a bit of modulation or that "modern car feel" which is more like a switch than a pedal. My original brakes were most likely not very well bled and worn but going to the 18Z actually felt better. Of course the pedal travel has to have increased somewhat over an OEM setup but it is by no means unsafe or a bad thing that so many seem to make out.

Sure you could stick with the classic LCRs but at the end of the day it's your choice.
    Handling mods++. HTA3582 stroker soon-ish. Hiding parts from the mrs since 2011. Build thread

Down under

Status
    Just get the carbon ceramics and be done with it
    Handling mods++. HTA3582 stroker soon-ish. Hiding parts from the mrs since 2011. Build thread

1st Gear

Status
    I've got the Porsche 996 turbo cailpers on my car. And the area on the pistons are 2653mm2. The piston sizes are 44/38, they work really well, so I don't know if 40/44 for the rs brakes are too much.
    2003 S3 BAM 225 Dolphin grey, Silk Nappa Leather, Bose, Cruise control.

Mods; custom code stage 1, S3 8P gear knob, pipercross panel filter, APR diverter valve, Forge TIP, Powerflex bushes, R32 rear anti roll bar, spacers F 15mm R 20mm, haldex race controller, Bilstein b12 pro kit, Porsche 996 turbo brakes.