Fed up with my gearbox! Whats this problem? 1.9tdi

@udi A3

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Website
www.immotec.co.uk
Changing up from 1-2 is ok 2-3 is ok 3-4 is a pig 4-5 is a pig 5-6 is ok

Changing down is all ok

Coasting with clutch down is the same. However once its in 4 or 5 i can pull it out and back in freely.

So coasting or driving in 4th, out and back in is ok. i can put it in and out of 4 no problems until put it in 3 then its a pig into 4.
Same thing with 5.

By being a pig i mean i try 2-3 times to put it in gear. no crunching, just feels like something is not lined up.
Cant be engine wobble related as its like this when coasting.

Gears pull well, no noises etc.

ideas?

Syncro hub... 3rd and 4th share a syncro hub I believe.... and this is most likely the issue here..

<tuffty/>

Its 4 and 5 causing issues though right? or is the problem coming out of 3 and 4, rather than going into 4 and 5?

Easy fix?

Lol... don't get too excited... its more of an educated guess tbh... I know that this behaviour can occur when syncro is iffy... Bill also had a gearbox go like this in his old octavia... (the gearbox thats in my car on the build block in fact)

Based on the symptoms this is my thinking but tbh I am no gearbox expert... yet lol...

<tuffty/>

Its 4 and 5 causing issues though right? or is the problem coming out of 3 and 4, rather than going into 4 and 5?

Easy fix?

Well... on am 02M box gears 1-4 are on one shaft and 5-6 on another... it could be the 4th gear syncro ring or could be the 5th gear one..

Not sure what ox they fit to the tdi tbh.. fairly sure it will be a 5 speed 02M but not massively familiar with the later models (don't see many dervs come through Bill's lol)

Like I said, I am no gearbox expert but could also be the selector fork issue too...

Unfortunately the easiest/cheapest fix is a recon or second hand box... else its stripping the box and checking stuff...

<tuffty/>

have you tried to re align the gearbox cable mechanism, doesnt take long and is free

don't want to get covered in badger poo, but i recall the 5 speed box being 02j, 6 speed is 02m or 02q

have you tried to re align the gearbox cable mechanism, doesnt take long and is free

don't want to get covered in badger poo, but i recall the 5 speed box being 02j, 6 speed is 02m or 02q

Yeah, FWD A3's do have 02J five speeds but they did a 5 speed version of the 02M for 180 quatty's and dervs as its a stronger box...

<tuffty/>

Yeah, FWD A3's do have 02J five speeds but they did a 5 speed version of the 02M for 180 quatty's and dervs as its a stronger box...

<tuffty/>

interstesting, the 5 speed 02j is really not very strong, the intrenals of the 02m are much better,(apart from the shift fork rivets)
i should have mine apart soon, i'll post up photos of the internals

read the whole first post this time

"So coasting or driving in 4th, out and back in is ok. i can put it in and out of 4 no problems until put it in 3 then its a pig into 4."

classic synchro issue, as tufty says, 3/4 share a synchro

have you drained the oil to see whats it looks like?

who here remembers non synchro boxes, or just on 2/3/4, not on first?

My dad races Austin Sevens, The first car I ever drove was a seven. Double de clutch all the way on all 4 gears, cable operated drum brakes , deep joy :) .

Reactions: newbster