Water in passenger foot well

Spatula

A4 B6
Reaction score
Hi all,

I've got a problem that I've had for awhile. My passenger foot wells (front and back) are always really wet.
They're wet enough that when you press the carpet with your finger you can make a puddle appear.

Does anyone have any idea where the water is coming from? I don't have a sunroof, and I don't think it's coming from door/window seals or anything. It's a 3 door 98 1.8T.

Also, it's been happening for awhile now (maybe 3 months or so) and the car doesn't smell at all. ?

If you do a search, it has been covered plenty of times.

Common issues are scuttle panel not fitted properly, missing grommets, water lines blocked, so water comes into the car.

Hope that helps.

Sorry, yeah I did a search after posting the thread, and found a whole bunch of useful information.
I'll give them all a go when I have a little free time.

Cheers anyway :)

No worries mate, hope you get it sorted.

Yeh very common fault this, most likely the sunroof drainage holes are blocked, or the pipes have come loose !

I don't have a sun roof. Took door panel off and no signs of leak?
I looked at the skutter* plate (plastic plate that goes under wiper blades) and theres a pretty big gap on passenger side between that and the window. Is this normal? I think I can see juice underneath but the gap looks too big for it to be sealed?

Hmm... :confused:

Dont sound normal to me that, if i remember rightly mine was tight against the screen as the was a groove piece of palstic it sat/locked into. Dont hold me on that though!!

Do you think it'll be okay to use silicone sealant on the scuttle cover?
I was thinking the same... mine isnt bang flush but i was unsure about silicone to fill the gap.

The only way i would use silicone is if it could not be seen after, such ugly stuff makes everything look so tacky!!
I would be having a look why the is a gap in the first place, fully remove it first make sure the is nothing causing the gap, dont forget they are really flexible so if it sits wrong on 1 end, i am pretty much certain it will be wrong somewhere else, you may not have even seen it.
If i ever removed mine, i always made sure it was firmly up against the screen first before fully re-fitting!

I'm not even sure how I take the wipers off? Someone did a thread about removal and used a special tool to remove the wipers? Why can't they just be pulled off? Do I need to remove the bonnet or anything?

I'm not even sure how I take the wipers off? Someone did a thread about removal and used a special tool to remove the wipers? Why can't they just be pulled off? Do I need to remove the bonnet or anything?

EH?? Special tool???????
13mm socket and a screwdriver fella!
Really simple, flip the cover up, undo the nut and pull !! That simple.
Just make sure you dont damage the splines when removing and replacing. No need remove bonnet at all, just needs go up and down a few times so you can get the tools on right. Bout it fella.
Once the are removed the scuttle panel should just pull of, can remember if the is a couple of screws holding in on or not, not that i can think of anyway, but remember they are only thin plastic so pull to hard and it will snap!!

Yeah I read a thread on here yesterday where someone had bought something from Halfords that looked like something out of Alien. I'll just pull that bad boy off.

I'm getting excited at the concept of having a dry cabin..

Good luck, let us know how you get on:)

I took mine off at dinner time...
The groove was full of dirt, i cleaned it all out but the trim still doesnt sit in... from about the middle of the screen about a foot towards the passenger side is raised. About 3 mill i would say. it pushed down but just slowly comes back up.
I think some silicone sealer in the groove may be my next option... but i will need to clean it all properly first.

Id say new scuttle panel paul. Easier and will look better.

I'm having huge problems getting my door panel back on. :-/

I just looked at my scuttle thing and as s3 dave said; I'm seeing big gaps too

I took mine off at dinner time...
The groove was full of dirt, i cleaned it all out but the trim still doesnt sit in... from about the middle of the screen about a foot towards the passenger side is raised. About 3 mill i would say. it pushed down but just slowly comes back up.
I think some silicone sealer in the groove may be my next option... but i will need to clean it all properly first.

Yeh mine was minging, loads of crap in there, a real good clean of the scuttle panel and everything around it & it went back on nice and flush, all depends how many times some 1 has had it of & on, with most thin plastics it will only take so much !!

You need to clean the recess out very well, but perhaps the scuttle panel has been deformed because it's been in the wrong way for such a long time. A new one should work.

I had to have a windscreen replaced once because it sagged on one side and dropped down so the scuttle panel would not fit in - every time it rained I got a wet foot well.

Liam

Its in a recent thread as I had a similar problem mate.

Bit late on but hey ho. I had exactly the same issue after having my windscreen replaced. There is no doubt a small section of the scuttle panel fixing missing on the R/H side as you look at it. The result of this is that water is allowed to flow into the gap which conveniently sits above the pollen filter.

This allows water to seep in and exit via the passenger footwell. More noticeably when washing the car you'll probably have a pool of water every time.

Best option is to buy a new scuttle to guarantee a good fit to the windscreen and also that the recess where it fits to the windscreen is intact.

Hope this helped

I've just had a quote for an OEM part from Audi.

Part number: 8L2819415B 01C
Price: £45.79

I think I'll probably go for that.

Reactions: Dani_B19
I have this issue at the moment too, and it's BAD!

My scuttle is cracked right above the pollen filter, and it's filled the heater up to the point where my heater motor has packed up, so I now can't warm up the inside to dry the car out!

Fecking nightmare.

New scuttle is being fitted as soon as I get a dry day to do it!