New exhaust - what do you think?

dgannon69

Reaction score
had this powerflow cat back system put on today. I asked for the S3 exit pipes but instead he's put on ovals in a similar style....

Not sure if i like the look or not really and whether to ask him to swap it to the S3 pipes.

Also it sounds a bit throaty and i'm not used to that yet..

Anyway, what do you all think?

Regards
Dave

Nice, looks like mine actually, I have the Millteks (Can't find a pic though)

i've gotta say after doin a fair few miles today, i'm so dissapointed... it sounds like a ****** corsa with a halfords back box. This is not what i wanted AT ALL! i even showed the guy in the shop the exhaust (on an S3) and he's got that wrong. I just wanted the mod for looks and not sound at all.

Next question is, how much are S3 back boxes.... i mean depending on the price i'd like to get one from the cat back. Seriously gutted /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Any help appreciated

Regards
Dave

Hey there fella, might be able to help you there, and that's a big might. I've just replaced my exhaust and I've got my old S3 back box lying about. It has been cut just after the rear pipe fittings, if you're interested I'll take and post some pics of it?

ye post some pics up please mate or PM them too me. it will all depend on where its been cut as you say because the whole reason i want this backbox is so i can have the S3 twin exit Look...

Also i will need to make sure that this back box can just attatch straight onto the standard A3 system i have without having to change to many other bits...

Let me know anyway please.

Cheers

The FWD A3 has a different backbox from the S3 backbox, if your A3 is TQ then I think it should fit.
Else if you like the look of the S3 backbox you can use a twin tailpipe tip/trim....
that's what I used before the nothelle system,and the look was exact to pic you've posted above

take it back and tell them that aint what u expected!!

Normally the exhaust note settles in after a bit,. but u seem well upset mate. I'm off to MIJ Perforamance next week for mine. I'll be takin pics etc. Will post as soon as they're done.

the cut into the bumper as much as they could but there is a bracket or something in the way...

Don't get me wrong, this garage is really good and i still would have work done with them, it's just the fact i like things looking exactly how i want them and don't care what it takes to get it looking right!lol

any ideas what i'm looking at for an S3 back box? If and when i get hold of one i'm sure they will make it fit..

The sooner the better too i say!!

S3 backbox cant physically fit.... The boot floor is too low in a fwd, so thats a definite no go!

Rich

You will notice after a few hundred miles the exhaust note dies down.

I think it looks OK but it's not true to the S3, you're right there.

Here you go Dave, let me know what you think, some welding would be necessary:

E2.jpg

E3.jpg

E4.jpg

E8.jpg

[ QUOTE ]
Here you go Dave, let me know what you think, some welding would be necessary:

E2.jpg

E3.jpg

E4.jpg

E8.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

it wont fit the A3..not without cutting out the boot floor!! Not really worth it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

right ok mate, i'll print off those pictures tomorrow and take them with me to the garage. As soon as i get some feedback from them i'll PM you if thats ok?

If Rich says is won't fit though i doubt i'm going to have much luck which is a ******....

Has anyone else on this forum tried and succeeded in doing what i am trying to achieve?

Perhaps i should just buy an S3, although been 19, i've not got much chance in that!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Cheers guys

Didnt Drill try to fit an S3 back box to his TQ without any success either. IIRC the hangers were wrong too.

Couldn't you just cut the tail trims off the S3 box and get them welded to the powerflow jobbie?

wen i had mine done on my pervious car (a3) before i got my s3 which is. I had it cut into the bumper enough as the s3 bumper is. Twin square pipes with curved edges. That looked snug up to the bumper n belended in. My S3 should be in this week. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

nah mate because the powerflow exit is single and the actual pipe trim is split into 2 as u can see in the pic. I'm more concerned about the loudness though.

I live at the top of quite a bit hill which is about 2 miles long and going up it tonight my ears popped 4 times...

Looking at buying a second hand S3 bumper off ebay or whereever so at least there's an exit for the exhaust.

RichA3Turbo do you think with an S3 bumper i would have any more room at all to somehow get the S3 box to fit in? the garage who fitted the exhaust are very good at making stuff fit etc so what do u think?

Cheers

Rich said the floorpan is too low, no type of bumper is going to solve that.

Change the exit pipes and let the exhaust bed in, it does get a LOT quieter once its run in (well, Millteks do)

[ QUOTE ]

RichA3Turbo do you think with an S3 bumper i would have any more room at all to somehow get the S3 box to fit in? the garage who fitted the exhaust are very good at making stuff fit etc so what do u think?

[/ QUOTE ]

TBH I would give up on the idea of fitting an OEM S3 back box to your car, as there is more chance of platting fog then fitting it.

Ask them to put a larger silencer on it if it's too loud.

ok then guys i will talk to them and see what i can do. they seem to think that they have made it as quiet as they can. i'll let you know how it goes anyway and post up some new pics wen its done. HOPEFULLY!

Thanks again

I've got my car going back in on thursday and their taking the whole system off and replacing it with my old one. I've asked them to cut the pipes on the old one and Add S3 style tail pipes....

Wish i'd hav thought of that to start with! haha

I had to drive up the M5 to Uni today which is about a 100 mile round trip. I have to say the sound was terrible.

When i put my foot down i would get boost as usual and a lot of noise.

As soon as i backed off the gas the car would judder and give off an incredibly loud sound from the exhaust.

Is this just because of a release or Lack of pressure? Either way it doesnt make the car drive nice or sound/feel healthy at all!

any ideas wat this is about?

cheers