What to do with my Darth Vader noise?

gabin

Reaction score
So the problem right now is that my MAF sensor is fried. The mechanic told me it's because the conic air filter that I have mounted and I should get rid of it, put a new MAF sensor and everything will be all right.

I don't want to quit the conic air filter because of the noise it makes when reving the car and driving it. It is a lovely noise, but the mechanic told me that if I replace the MAF and I still use it with the conic air filter, the new MAF will frie again because of the high volume of air the it intakes.

Please help with suggestions on what to do..

Last edited:
balls!

most people on here run cone filter (see the B5 tip setup with jetex)

Yeah the maf works a bit harder but that it. They do die on standard cars too like all components they get tired.

Goto TPS and exchange you old one for a discount against a new one and keep using your cone filter.

...the mechanic told me that if I replace the MAF and I still use it with the conic air filter, the new MAF will frie again because of the high volume of air the it intakes...

LM (actual) AO!!!

Sorry dude but its not the volume of air that will kill it (I was running best part of 400hp on my std S3 MAF for ages)...

What will kill them however is a heavily oiled filter... don't know what one you have got but K&N are known to be heavily oiled and the oil gets onto the MAF sensor (its a hot film sensor so gets hot)

Filters such as Jetex are very lightly oiled and are fine...

MAF sensors don't last forever... its also hit and miss how long they do actually last... I got through 3 genuine ones in 18 months... the previous one I had lasted 2 years on its own though... its a service part IMO...

<tuffty/>

Reactions: Nilz
Then I'll buy 2-3 sensors :)))) just to havem them as a spare...So Jetex it is!!

Do I need anything else? Or just mount the Jetex air filter on the standard intake pipe?

:applaus:

LE: Where in hell I can buy a Jetex? Can't find'em on awsomegti or ebay...

You can do but most people buy the "Badger 5 TIP". It comes with a billet adaptor to bolt onto the turbo and the pipe does not taper in size compared to the standard Audi pipe. The badger 5 tip is silicone too so it's less prone to collapsing and deteriorating with age.

Then I'll buy 2-3 sensors :)))) just to havem them as a spare...So Jetex it is!!

you have either not checked out how much an original brand new MAF costs from TPS or you have more money than sense dude! lol

Call Bill if you want a Jetex fella- he has the latest design as previous ones were prone to splitting.

You can do but most people buy the "Badger 5 TIP". It comes with a billet adaptor to bolt onto the turbo and the pipe does not taper in size compared to the standard Audi pipe. The badger 5 tip is silicone too so it's less prone to collapsing and deteriorating with age.

Where can I find some pics? Now I'm a bit curious..

you have either not checked out how much an original brand new MAF costs from TPS or you have more money than sense dude! lol
Call Bill if you want a Jetex fella- he has the latest design as previous ones were prone to splitting.

I'm not from UK dude, so it will be a problem calling Bill. Does someone have his e-mail adress?
Don't know how much a MAF from TPS costs, I only saw them on ebay at about 60-80pounds..I'll have a check @TPS!:sly:

I'm not from UK dude, so it will be a problem calling Bill. Does someone have his e-mail adress?
Don't know how much a MAF from TPS costs, I only saw them on ebay at about 60-80pounds..I'll have a check @TPS!:sly:

Badger5

Contact details can be found in there - although he is usually a very busy chap, so spending a bit of dosh on the INterntational phone call may be more beneficial if you want a speedy reply.

MAF's are usually on an exchange basis mate- which is why it wouldn't make a huge amount of sense buying 3 off them as you could get them cheaper by handing your old one in through the exchange. I would be a bit careful on buying MAF's ond other elctrical items from ebay as well fella- there's a lot of fakes out there which are near the price of an OEM unit

Badger5
MAF's are usually on an exchange basis mate- which is why it wouldn't make a huge amount of sense buying 3 off them as you could get them cheaper by handing your old one in through the exchange. I would be a bit careful on buying MAF's ond other elctrical items from ebay as well fella- there's a lot of fakes out there which are near the price of an OEM unit

Cheers mate!

I was just joking when I said I'd buy 2-3 MAFs :) I didn't expect that these sensors can die that fast..:)))

contact jetex themselves and ask for the revised version as that's where I got mine from.

TPS MAF is about £150 inc VAT but you get £30-40 reduction for giving in your old MAF

Badger 5 complete setup : 80mm V3 Badger5 K04 Induction Kit-LCR/S3/TT (1.8t) With Hose Clips | eBay

I'll have a look here also!

Thanks guys for the advice, it was tremendously helpful !!

Ok, so looking to buy a Badger5 K04 Induction Kit, but my car is LHD.

Has anyone any idea what kind of mods I have to do to adjust it?

I have just recently started getting the 'darth vader' noise and have been wondering what it is, only happens when setting off in 1st or second gear at low revs. Does this sound like it could be the MAF? Car is 1998 AGU with 91,000 miles. Can i do a test to see if it is the MAF? Maybe remove the maf and test drive it? Or is that not good for the engine?

Cheers,

No, the MAF is just a sensor. You can drive with the sensor plugged or unplugged, it doesn't matter, it won't harm your engine. MAF only measures the air-flow so the ECU can calculate the appropiate mix of air and gas..as far as I know.

Your problem maybe it's that you have a leak in your pipes and somehow air is breathing through there..

Don't take my words for granted, wait and see other forum members have to say :)

Last edited:
Ok, so looking to buy a Badger5 K04 Induction Kit, but my car is LHD.

Has anyone any idea what kind of mods I have to do to adjust it?

Being LHD you might have some problems fitting the Badger 5 TIP but from reading other posts it can be done. You might need to take your time and trim it so that you get the perfect fit without fouling any other pipes etc.

fit a catch can too, i got fed up with my car throwing loadsa oil back through the intake and somehow it was getting as far back up as the maf coating it and wrecking them when the oil is near the full mark!