steering knocking??

milie

Reaction score
I have an annoying knocking when driving....... I have recently replaced the wishbone and anti roll bar bushes but i still have this knocking. I have had it on the ramp today and there is a knocking when you lock out on the steering and also when you change the steer direction quickly.. the steering rack seems to be fighting itself........ hows the rack powered? it it belt driven?? If it is belt driven is there a chance that the blet is slack and the pump is behind on supply to the rack........ Just at thought?

The steering rack is belt driven with its own pump, reservoir and cooler.
You will find the reservoir on the right hand side of the engine bay with a green lid on it and the pump is located at the front of the engine towards the bottom with the belt attached to it.

have you checked the fluid level? any leaks? the belt ok?

It is normal for the rack to moan under full lock but not knock.
Are you sure its the rack making the knocking?
What car do you have?

mine is a 1999 1.8T. 65K........ I will have a look see if i can see any problems with the belt etc...... IF you put your foot on one of the front wheels and turn it from left to right, you can feel and knock......

are you sure it's the not the top-bush/bearing of one of the front shocks? when these wear out they can make a knocking noise as you turn the wheel.

If you haven't already check the track rod ends innner and outer attachment for play.

Got a similar prob on me golf at the mo. The driver's side ball joint is worn and only knock when on lock, so check that too.

[ QUOTE ]
are you sure it's the not the top-bush/bearing of one of the front shocks? when these wear out they can make a knocking noise as you turn the wheel.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this something that you can see visually without taking the car to bits? as I'd like to check mine if poss after seeing the state of some of the other rubber bushes, and it might explain something I've been feeling through the steering for a while.

are these a diy job to change or is it big hassle? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

you would need to take stut off the car, compress the spring then remove the top nut to change it. You might be able to hear if the bearings are ok with the wheels of the ground if you get somebody to turn the wheel while you listen but checking the bush part will require pulling at the wheel with it raised too. An MOT tester will be able to check it for you.

The rubber may be slightly compressed, but it will most likely be fine. The £4 bearing may have worn tho.

To check strut top bearing. Jack up car and then grab the spring and pull back and forth. You'll feel it moving at the top if its ********.

Bearing can be done with the strut in the car with spring compressors, but the struts are super easy to remove anyway if you have the lower mount "spreading" tool. Deffo doable for mr. DIY.

Cheers for the replies chaps, I'll be having a better look next weekend as this does sound like it could finally be the cause of my annoying problem going over bumps etc. I can see I'm going to end up buying some spring compressors and that spreading tool at this rate!

I might just have to check that out myself too, although the knocking feels as though it is under my feet in the drivers footwell.... would that be the strut mounts? (i have changed the antil roll bar and wish bone bushes)........

[ QUOTE ]
I might just have to check that out myself too, although the knocking feels as though it is under my feet in the drivers footwell.... would that be the strut mounts? (i have changed the antil roll bar and wish bone bushes)........

[/ QUOTE ]

That sounds pretty similar to the problem I've got, It basically feels like somthing between me and the front wheels is loose sometimes, but I have rulled out ball joints, wishbones and bushes, ARB, track rods and ends after seeing the other threads I was starting to think it would be a steering rack problem but this is one thing I hadn't thought of! I was really annoyed when I missed bidding on a brand new steering rack on ebay when it went for £36 or something daft like that!

I'll let you know how I get on when I get chance to have a good look at the car, do powerflex do replacements for the strut mount bush thingy?

yeah, it feels as if something is loose, it doesnt knock going over speed bumps, it only knocks going over those little bumps in the road, and it feels as thought it is right underneath your feet...... the only reason i thought it was the steering is that it makes a clonking noise changing sharply from left to right steer........ I will have to have alook myself too, even thought of stripping the suspension down and doing the top mounts, just to rule them out, you would spot anything else that has gone too....... Will let you know if i find anything!

Well I've just ordered all the bits to replace the strut top mounts inc the rubber bit and bearing etc infact everything north of the spring.

I'm going to be fitting it all on sat before the car goes in to have the steering rack replaced and the wheels aligned next week, the question is, is this the correct bit for undoing the strut top nut on my S3, didn't think to check whilst at home and infront of the car and I really want to make sure I get the tools before sat and I had a feeling it was a normal bolt not as below?

http://www.uktools.com/product_info.php?cPath=53_79_1179&products_id=5377

Does anyone know what size allen key it is to hold everything still?

Also whilst I think of it I'm guessing any old spring compressors will do the job - anyone had any problems?

Cheers,

Ben.

You don't need one of those mcpherson strut tools for the s3 (or a3 for that matter)

The spring is held in by a regular nut, much the same as the nut you see in the engine bay. I'm pretty sure you need a 21mm spanner or socket. If using a spanner you need a 60 degrees deep offset spanner to get in there, but sometimes you can just pull the rubber mount off of the strut top over the nut (if that makes sense). then you can use a normal spanner.

I think the allen key is 8mm. Sorry, not near me tools at the mo so I can't say for sure.

You don't need to compress the springs a huge amount so yeah, any set of compressors (as long as they are intendend for car springs) will do the job.

You taking the whole strut out? if so you need the spreading tool for the wheel bearing housing connection. Or a big screwdriver to wedge in there.

I'm trying to cover all options to be honest, I'll make do without the spreading tool someone (rich I think) suggested filing down an old hex key socket or allen key etc to deal with that.

I just remember seeing the proper Audi tool is a socket and wrench you can fit another long hex socket through. I'll have to have a look at the car tonight, I do remember seeing another thread somewhere about those deep offset spanners, just trying to make sure I can get everything for saturday including the tools to get the whole strut out if necessary.

Yep, you can use the socket with the hole in the top. There are companies that sell them online but they all seem to be in the states. Ask at your local partco or similar as often they can surprise with some of the stuff they can get.

As for the spanners, if you want to go that route, they are made by a company called Stahlwille.

Cheers HTC, would all be so much easier if I could drive my ****** car right now, it remains to be seen if audi have ordered me the right parts as that was from a fax i sent over with all the part numbers and quantities.

I'll have a look tonight and see if I need to get one of them there spanners or not - I just don't want to get to trying to sort it out then find a problem as it'll almost definately be ****** cold and raining.

If you get really stuck. Whip it along to your local garage or quick fit. Get them to buzz the nut off for a drink then hand tighten it on and slowly drive home. Don't worry, the strut won't fall out. Then do the work, take it back and get them to buzz it up again.

Do you know anyone with one of those hand held impact wrenches, they'll have the same effect.

[ QUOTE ]
If you get really stuck. Whip it along to your local garage or quick fit. Get them to buzz the nut off for a drink then hand tighten it on and slowly drive home. Don't worry, the strut won't fall out. Then do the work, take it back and get them to buzz it up again.

Do you know anyone with one of those hand held impact wrenches, they'll have the same effect.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would - but I can't drive the ****** thing... the steering has no oil in it and a very big leak so it's DIY at home time, and it needs to be done this saturday or it won't be done before it goes to the garage on monday to make it work again. I would get them to do it, but to be honest I trust myself more than any other mechanic now, it's just there is no way I can drop the subframe where I live or I'd be doing the steering rack too.

not drivable? pfft, if the rack is knackered anyhow . . . LOL. I've been towed more than a few times in cars that have the engine not running. Steering and braking is always fun /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif