Xenon bulbs

rosscopeeco13

Reaction score
Hi alli have just recently noticed that one of my xenon bulbs is a different couloir from the other , I have owned the car for only three months so never noticed it before also on light seems to point a little off to the left can someone steer me in the right direction on where to fifer bulbs and which are the best and also how to sort the light direction issue , also one light is a little hazy a little frosting on the bottom corner would it be better just getting a new or a set of new headlights , any info would be much appreciated

Ross

What car do you have??

It sounds like one of the bulbs is on its way out. If its an S3, im pretty sure the bulb size is d2s and the standard colour is 4300k, some people have upgraded to the 6000k though.

Have a quick search on Ebay, plenty of info on there.

Also with the direction, there should be a leveller below the car, rear driver side i believe, maybe thats snapped which is causing the lights not to auto level.

PM Trups (T8ups) a site sponsor from here -

EM Tuning

He will be able to sort you out some D2S xenon bulbs for a very reasonable price

also one light is a little hazy a little frosting on the bottom corner would it be better just getting a new or a set of new headlights , any info would be much appreciated

Ross

If this is due to the cloudiness that builds up over time, you can by a headlight restoration kit to sort it out.

I used the 3M one and definitely recommend that. The kits only about £15 so well worth a punt before buying and sourcing replacement headlights for several hundred pounds

If this is due to the cloudiness that builds up over time, you can by a headlight restoration kit to sort it out.

I used the 3M one and definitely recommend that. The kits only about £15 so well worth a punt before buying and sourcing replacement headlights for several hundred pounds

Thanks will check that out

Thanks will check that out

As said, unless you haven't got the time, don't go spending money on buying a brand new replacement light.

Get yourself some various grades of wet and dry, some Meguiars PlastX and some elbow grease or machine polisher. Dependent on how bad they are, they may not come up like new but they'll be a damn sight better. Below is a pretty good link showing how it's done and results.

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-forum-8l-chassis/152781-headlight-restoration-pics.html

Cheers guys I'm definitely gonna try the wet and dry first as they aren't that bad it's just the bulb colour one is the usual xenon colour but the other is almost clear white colour if that makes sense might just get new xenon bulbs and wet and dry the lights , is it a big job to change the bulbs

is it a big job to change the bulbs

It can be a PITA but it can be done without having to remove anything but the back covers and maybe the battery.

I personally prefer to take the headlights out- but it's a bit easier on the on the preface-lift as it's just 3 screws that need undoing as I can get to the one on the side after removing the side indicator.

If/when you do opt for the wet and sand/polish refurbishment then make sure you have some LaminX or some other film to cover over the lens you have just sanded- otherwise it will soon turn back to being cloudy as the sanding process is actually removing a protective layer on the headlights.

try swaping the bulbs round first, this will let you know if its the bulb or head light.

ps There are two sensors for the auto level to work, one on the rear and front near side, check they have not snapped especially if the car has been lowered or suspension work done.

mark

What are these sensors called epox please? Just my rear has gone

try swaping the bulbs round first, this will let you know if its the bulb or head light.

ps There are two sensors for the auto level to work, one on the rear and front near side, check they have not snapped especially if the car has been lowered or suspension work done.

mark

Put this part no in to eBay 4B0907503 headlight level sensor

Cheers
Mark