Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Soot1
  • 1 Post By kwistof

Thread: Side lights to match xenons

Neutral

Status

Side lights to match xenons

Hi all,

I'm after a decent set of sidelights that match the xenons in the S3.

I have had a search but can't come across anything definitive.

I'm not after something ridciulously bright or something that will blow after a few months.

Anyone got any recommendations?

2. # ADS
    ADS

2nd Gear

Status
    Hi,

Send a PM to t8ups - he's just sold me a set that match my 8000k HIDs.

Been fitted for about 2 week and I'm happy to report they've not started flickering like the cheap eBay ones seem to

Defo worth the wait :)

Status
    ^^ What he said!!

Send T8ups a message, he will look after you.

1st Gear

Status
    I have the Cree LEDs from Trups and they do match up well with my 8000k bulbs

Thats no Moon, Thats a space station!

Status
    2 x 8 Xenon White SMD LED 501 T10 W5W WEDGE CANBUS NO ERROR SIDE/INTERIOR LIGHTS | eBay

just put these in my car and they seem to match the main lights well

just waiting on a new set of foglights to match but they are coming from china lol
    Audi S3 8L BAM 225 2002 - Ming Blue : Silver Heated Leather, Armrest, RNS-E - Bose, Alloy Mirrors, 18" RSTT`s, Sunroof, Cruise, AutoDim Mirror & Usual S3 Extras.
    Mods : Badger 5 Stg 2 Custom Map, FMIC, 3" DP & 200 Cell Cat, 007P, Jetex Filter & 80mm TIP & Heatshield, Complete LED Kit, Gen VW Aero Wipers, Full Powerflex Kit, R32 RARB, AP Shocks & Springs, 15mm Front & 20mm Rear Spacers, BB Uprated Actuator,
    N249 Delete & Catch Can, AP TVR 4Pot Brakes & DS2500`s, Sachs Carbon/Kevlar Clutch

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by sssline View Post
    I have the Cree LEDs from Trups and they do match up well with my 8000k bulbs
    OP doesn't want anything ridiculously bright as Cree are.

1st Gear

Status

@Gazwould: They function well as DRLs imo...which would not be for lighting but to ensure pedestrians are aware of a moving vehicle.

South East Events Moderator

Status

My Social Networking

Follow kwistof On Twitter Visit kwistof's Youtube Channel Visit kwistof's Instagram Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by sssline View Post
    @Gazwould: They function well as DRLs imo...which would not be for lighting but to ensure pedestrians are aware of a moving vehicle.
    Totally agree - I was going to say that the Cree LEDs are no brighter than the latest DRLs brightness and I think they go very well with my 6000k xenons. Not sure how well matched they'd look with OEM 4300ks tbh but I'd definitely recommend a set from Trups - great quality and fast delivery
    2000 S3 APY

18" BBS RSII with Michelin PS3s, 20mm H&R adapters, Relentless 3" DP and Sports cat, B5 V1 induction kit, cone filter+heat shield, Forge 007P, Awesome GTI SMF, AP coilovers, Facelift rear lights, Full Powerflex poly bush kit, R32 Rear ARB, SAI delete, N249 by-pass, Upgraded Engine mounts with Polytek, Stage 1 CC at Badger 5.

1st Gear

Status
    I did initially have the Cree LEDs with 4300k bulbs and Trups will agree when we fitted it the sidelights made the xenon look very yellow so it's worth changing to either 6 or 8000k xenons at the same time. I think they look good. Problem is lights never show well in pictures but I'll try to get a couple on.

1st Gear

Status

Sidelight next to 8000k xenon:
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1389719253.916792.jpg

Sidelight alone:
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1389719277.536730.jpg

Hope that helps
    Last edited by sssline; 14th January 2014 at 17:25.

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by vrbob View Post
    2 x 8 Xenon White SMD LED 501 T10 W5W WEDGE CANBUS NO ERROR SIDE/INTERIOR LIGHTS | eBay

just put these in my car and they seem to match the main lights well

just waiting on a new set of foglights to match but they are coming from china lol
    I bought a pair of these sidelights as well just before Christmas, one has died completely and the other just one of the led's has gone out. Contact phone number never gets answered and Emailed Parts u like but never got a reply. Hope yours last longer tham mine. If you do have problems, get yer bulbs from T8rups, I bought a set for the interior and they work perfect.
    sssline likes this.

Status
    Mine have been in a month and so far ok but I have no illusions that they are cheap versions. The set I had before which were a bit blue tinted cost less than £2 and lasted about 14months so thats not bad value.

thanks for the heads up though
    Audi S3 8L BAM 225 2002 - Ming Blue : Silver Heated Leather, Armrest, RNS-E - Bose, Alloy Mirrors, 18" RSTT`s, Sunroof, Cruise, AutoDim Mirror & Usual S3 Extras.
    Mods : Badger 5 Stg 2 Custom Map, FMIC, 3" DP & 200 Cell Cat, 007P, Jetex Filter & 80mm TIP & Heatshield, Complete LED Kit, Gen VW Aero Wipers, Full Powerflex Kit, R32 RARB, AP Shocks & Springs, 15mm Front & 20mm Rear Spacers, BB Uprated Actuator,
    N249 Delete & Catch Can, AP TVR 4Pot Brakes & DS2500`s, Sachs Carbon/Kevlar Clutch

1st Gear

Status
    It's just down to luck I guess.

6th Gear

Status
    2002 Dolphin grey S3 - Sym2+bose, heated leather, ally mirrors, R32 ARB's with superpro, Jabba stage 2 map, TFSI coils, Samco TIP, Forge DV & privacy glass

2010 Green Kawasaki Ninja ZX6R - Akrapovic baffleless race can, LED cluster & HID's

wanted for 8L S3:
    Unmarked grey rear bumper panel
    Milltek system

3rd Gear

Status
    Sorry for the hijack, but what size bulbs are in a facelift S3.
    Thanks.
    B5 v1 Tip, Relentless v2 Manifold, Beach Buggy Hybrid, Pipewerx D.P and cat bypass, Miltek resonated cat back, AH Fabs v2 Intercooler, S2000 Filter, 83mm 9.5:1 CP Pistons, Brute Rods, Bosch 550cc Injectors, Oil Catch can, N249 delete, B5 Phenolic Gasket.
    H&R Springs, Koni FSD Shocks, s3dave's rear tie bars, LCR Brembo's, 18" ttrs alloys, replaced all suspension bushes, 15/20mm spacers front/rear.

Now just waiting on my B5 exhaust manifold as the Relentless is goosed.

Neutral

Status
    Thanks for all the replies and help.

I must admit I didn't really think about changing the xenon bulbs I just looked at the car the other day and realised how poor the sidelights were.

I don't consider my oem xenons great at all - the guys with uprated bulbs is 8000k a big improvement or 6000k plenty enough and where do you get those from?

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by IrishDave View Post
    Sorry for the hijack, but what size bulbs are in a facelift S3.
    Thanks.
    Size? Which ones, the xenon oem ballast runs D2S bulbs.

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by phil08 View Post
    Thanks for all the replies and help.

I must admit I didn't really think about changing the xenon bulbs I just looked at the car the other day and realised how poor the sidelights were.

I don't consider my oem xenons great at all - the guys with uprated bulbs is 8000k a big improvement or 6000k plenty enough and where do you get those from?
    6000k will give more lumens ie you will have more "usable light" than 8000k, both look fine with the LEDs, 8k has a bit more of a bluish tinge to it as do the LEDs. I have Philips ones but Trups will do you a set also (much cheaper than Philips).

1st Gear

Status
    Do people remove their bumpers and drop the head light out to change bulbs? cos i cannot get my hand in behind them to change bulbs let alone see the back of the lights!

car is a preface lift if it changes things ...
    S3 - APY silver

Status

My Social Networking

Follow kwistof On Twitter Visit kwistof's Youtube Channel Visit kwistof's Instagram Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by willh92 View Post
    Do people remove their bumpers and drop the head light out to change bulbs? cos i cannot get my hand in behind them to change bulbs let alone see the back of the lights!

car is a preface lift if it changes things ...
    Yep it totally changes things with a pre-facelift dude.

You should be able to take the indicators out of the side, which may need a long screwdriver to undo the tab that lock it in place. This will now show a bolt (can't remember the size) that will need undoing on the side of the headlight.

You will also have 2 bolts on the top which are the same size.

With those 3 taken out and a little wriggle, you can get the full headlight unit out without removing the bumper and/or grazing your knucles to feck! lol
    s3mad_dude likes this.
    2000 S3 APY

18" BBS RSII with Michelin PS3s, 20mm H&R adapters, Relentless 3" DP and Sports cat, B5 V1 induction kit, cone filter+heat shield, Forge 007P, Awesome GTI SMF, AP coilovers, Facelift rear lights, Full Powerflex poly bush kit, R32 Rear ARB, SAI delete, N249 by-pass, Upgraded Engine mounts with Polytek, Stage 1 CC at Badger 5.

I'm not modding, I'm improving

Status
    I've been through a ridiculous number of LED side lights. Every single one has needed replacing in less than 6 months, so you end up driving an illegal vehicle. They also don't pass some MOTs, depending on the tester, as they appear "blue" on their scale. So I've resigned myself to just using the Philips NightBreaker side light 501s. No yellow look, sorted.

TBH I drive with my lights on all the time as well - people ask why; well, you noticed right? So you'll notice my car before pulling out on me then!

2nd Gear

Status
    Philips Night Breaker ??

http:// http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0085M0XDE?
    ie=UTF8&at=&force-full-site=1&ref_=aw_bottom_links

These are quality. And avaliable in 4000 or 6000k

Osram 501 warm white 4000k against Osram Night Breaker Plus.

20131209_181623.jpg

Status

My Social Networking

Quote Originally Posted by JD09 View Post
    I've been through a ridiculous number of LED side lights. Every single one has needed replacing in less than 6 months, so you end up driving an illegal vehicle. They also don't pass some MOTs, depending on the tester, as they appear "blue" on their scale. So I've resigned myself to just using the Philips NightBreaker side light 501s. No yellow look, sorted.

TBH I drive with my lights on all the time as well - people ask why; well, you noticed right? So you'll notice my car before pulling out on me then!
    I too have also gone through so many LED sidelights it was getting beyond a joke with how much I was spending on them and how much time I was wasting have to replace them.

I tend to drive with my sidelights on all the time since I got a set from Trups (T8ups on here) - the Cree LEDs are so bright and match the xenon bulbs really well along with feeling the best quality. Definitely recommend those if you do have to replace again in the future
    2000 S3 APY

I'm not modding, I'm improving

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Gazwould View Post
    Philips Night Breaker ??

http:// http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0085M0XDE?
    ie=UTF8&at=&force-full-site=1&ref_=aw_bottom_links

These are quality. And avaliable in 4000 or 6000k

Osram 501 warm white 4000k against Osram Night Breaker Plus.

20131209_181623.jpg
    Beg your pardon, I meant Osram. I'd tried the Philips Blue Vision is what I meant to say. Useless is one word. Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by kwistof View Post
    I too have also gone through so many LED sidelights it was getting beyond a joke with how much I was spending on them and how much time I was wasting have to replace them.

I tend to drive with my sidelights on all the time since I got a set from Trups (T8ups on here) - the Cree LEDs are so bright and match the xenon bulbs really well along with feeling the best quality. Definitely recommend those if you do have to replace again in the future
    Thanks for this, but naturally dubious!

1st Gear

Status
    I literally cannot get the indicators out of my car to be able to drop the headlights out the front. Has anyone got a picture or a few pics of the process? And the tab that holds it in place? I don't want to break things and my hands are too big to get behind them!

If all else fails, will have to recruit the missis to change them with her baby hands!
    S3 - APY silver

Down under

Status
    Just had a HID bulb go on me. I ordered Philips 4300k but starting to wonder if I should have got 6000k? Whats the general consensus on this? I don't want to look like "that guy" and kinda like OEM white.
    Handling mods++. GTX30 soon-ish. Hiding parts from the mrs since 2011. Build thread

Noggies ruuuule!

Status
    Yeah I stayed standard - don't want to look too blinged up. I assume the standard ballast is capable of 6000k bulbs? I wouldn't go higher than that or you start getting too much blueness

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam_ View Post
    Just had a HID bulb go on me. I ordered Philips 4300k but starting to wonder if I should have got 6000k? Whats the general consensus on this? I don't want to look like "that guy" and kinda like OEM white.
    I just changed mine to 6000K and I much prefer it to the 4300k look. They match the white LED`s I already have and I like the whiter output at night too when driving.

I didn't want the 8000K bulbs as not keen on that aftermarket blue tint they have the 6000K look better but still OEMish. I also saw a few people sell 5000K bulbs which is closer to the 4300K look but a bit whiter

I got a pair of bulbs off ebay first but they were rubbish and kept failing to ignite. I then bought the Full interior LED kit for the 8L and a pair of 6000K D2S bulbs from Tr8ps on here and they are brilliant. So much so that I have spent a few hours restoring my headlight lenses to get the optimum effect.

Neutral

Status
    Excellent stuff. I'm just waiting for Tr8ps to reply to me as to how I can order the bulbs and away I go!

Status
    I Pm`d Tr8ps sunday evening last week he replied that day and we worked out a package and I paid via paypal that evening and the package was delivered Tuesday morning. Excellent service and very pleased with the products

Down under

Status
    I order 6000k and some white LED sidelights so hopefully I'll be yellow free. I don't want it to be too blue but I think that's more the 8000k+ ones.
    Handling mods++. GTX30 soon-ish. Hiding parts from the mrs since 2011. Build thread

Status
    Took a couple of pics of the lights last night after polishing the car so you can see the 6000k D2S bulbs with my LED sides and fogs :

And this is the result of my headlight restoration which defo helps the light output

Down under

Status
    Hard to tell from pics but it looks good. I ordered the 3M restoration kit, 2 Philips 6000k D2S and some decent LED sidelights so hopefully that freshens the front end a bit. It seems like the lights don't stay mint for very long. I done mine 12 months ago and they're starting to look bad again.

Neutral

Status
    Thanks for pics vrbob...exactly what I was after.

I recently restored my headlights aswell using the 3M kit. My lights were yellowed and pitted badly and now I have crystal clear lenses. Much cheaper then the £100 per headlight I was quoted at a bodyshop!