ill Running '01 S3...advice needed

MattW86

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Long time since posting on the forum, typical that a fault has brought me back.

My car decided yesterday afternoon to start running really rough.. like it was misfiring. I ran a quick scan with a code reader I have (not vag-com) which showed no faults and the EML light has not popped up, neither has the low oil / oil pressure warning.

I took a look at the plugs today and found that in first cyclinder (far left) there was oil covering the electrode but the others were fine. Gave the contacts on the coilpack a clean and replaced the plug with a spare. Started her up but no improvement. There is also a strong smell from the exhaust and when idling the engine makes a audible knock.

I am clueless as to what is wrong, any ideas guys??

Cheers
Matt

is your car mapped?

Did it do this while giving it some?

Smell of fuel suggests that injectors are working, have you checked for a spark on that cylinder by just plugging coil pack into loom, and pushing plug into the end while laying it on top of the rocker cover for an earth?

I haven't remapped the engine in my ownership and no evidence to suggest it has been.

It decided to do this whilst pulling into a junction at 30mph I gave it a bit of a blip to get up to the increased speed limit then it felt like it was hesitating from low revs. Luckily only a couple of mins from home at the time. Weird thing being that about 15mins earlier it was pounding down the motorway with no problem.

To explain the exhaust smell abit more, it was eggy in odour. I will give that spark thingy a try when it stops raining here.

cheers
Matt

coil pack died maybe?

easy way to check is unplug each one while car is running individually and see if it get worse if it does not then that coil pack is fubar`d

coil pack died maybe?

easy way to check is unplug each one while car is running individually and see if it get worse if it does not then that coil pack is fubar`d

Ahh could be, i read it as he'd tried the coil pack, not just a plug, doh, serves me right for skimming

reminds me of when my coilpack went so +1 /\

can also just pull the injectors plugs one by one which is a little easier. especially if you have bolt down coilpacks and n249 in place. good luck.

If it sounds like a tractor on tickover then its usually firing on 3 cylinders.

Common issue and probably worth upgrading to TFSI coilpacks if one has gone as I think a set of them are cheaper than the normal 1.8t jobbies and you can get adapters from TPS for a couple of quid each as I saw that in Tuffty`s thread a while back

Swapped the coils this morning and the engine seems to run no problem however there is a heavy shuddering. It seems to come from the exhaust. Would the fact that exhaust fumes are only coming from 1 tailpipe and the strong eggy smell be cat related?

Matt

Sounds like a Subaru? Lol coilpack. If it's preface lift the EML light doesn't come on, strange that yours hadn't since it's 01.

Got a brand new coilpack this morning and popped it in.. it hasnt improved the running of the car. I took a short vid to better describe it.

Cheers again guys

Matt

Last edited by a moderator:
Got a brand new coilpack this morning and popped it in.. it hasnt improved the running of the car. I took a short vid to better describe it.

Cheers again guys

Matt

Still sounds like the coil packs to me personally.

have you tried the new coil pack in each cylinder?

Last edited by a moderator:
also have you checked the coil pack loom as they are know to crumble over time which would give the same symptoms.

Gonna give it a fresh go with chopping and changing the coils around. Havent checked the loom.. stuck in work till late.

I cleaned the oil up and made sure to check the other cylinders just incase. Looks like im in for a cold long night with my engine.

Cheers
Matt

First thing i have to say is a BIG thanks to ASN members, spent a good bit of time at it this evening. Have now found the dead coil and i am back in the land of boost.

Car is running perfectly. Thanks again lads ;)

Matt

Reactions: superkarl