Losing Water Near WG/Under DV

JudderMan

Reaction score
I topped up the water the other day as it was below the min on the header tank and added 200ml of oil at the same time (in the right places! LOL). Tonight I was just pootling back from the shops (I rarely cane it as my wife's pregnant), and noticed the temp gauge was just creeping over 90 (heaters on full blast after I noticed). Got home a few minutes later and got I got a red water warning and there was steam pouring out of the engine bay, had a look (in the dark but with my torch on my phone) and it looks like the wastegate or whatever it is (the silver round thing under the DV valve) has split and come away from whatever it attaches onto.

I've looked for engine bay pics on Google but can't find a good enough pic to detail what I mean and it's pitch black outside at the moment. Needless to say it's a bad time for this to happen. It didn't overheat properly but was sat at 91-92 for 2-3 minutes as I was almost home.

I know my description of what it is isn't the greatest, but I don't know the name for it. I could get my torch around the TIP from the back and shining back towards the front of the engine, but the part is below the DV valve and attached to a cast alloy thing. I've looked for a schematic of the engine bay but again my search is fruitless. I seem to have lost my Haynes manual since moving house too.

Any ideas? Any help is appreciated. Obviously I'll have my head under the bonnet as soon as it gets light tomorrow.

Edit:

Found an image on Google, the right hand arrow is pretty much pointing to it.
http://i683.photobucket.com/albums/vv197/gaz6693/20vtEngine.jpg

Last edited:
The arrow is pointing to the SAI valve which doesn't have any water flowing around or near it . IT'S more likely coming from the plastic housing on the end of the head, perhaps the exhaust gases have melted the seal or plastic

Hmm, thanks mate. I thought the SAI was on the other side of the engine bay and lower down, near the oil filter (ala http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-forum-8l-chassis/88299-sai-removal-guide.html)? I do have an SAI error code, that was the next thing on the list to remove but it's been Xmas/cold as hell etc. I could see that there was an alloy bit lower than that valve that had come away/split/broken. I couldn't really see properly as it was too dark and the steam could have wrecked my phone which I was using to light it up.

edit: I think I meant actuator not wastegate....if that's any more help...

edit 2: I guess tomorrow is SAI removal day then, earlier than I'd wanted but according to WRITEUP: 2.7T Secondary Air Injection SAI Pump rebuild - AudiWorld Forums and http://home.broadpark.no/~sskute/seconday_air_injection_1_2.pdf and Secondary Air Injection System: Insufficient Flow in Bank 1 and Bank 2 - AudiForums.com it seems that I might have found the problem. I still don't understand where the steam/water is coming from....hope the head hasn't lifted.

Last edited:
the silver thing is controlled by the n112 and decides using vacuum when to open to allow the air generated by the pump(lower down at front) to be allowed into the head and therefore into the exhaust stream to heat the cat

Gotcha, thanks mate. I've already done the N249 delete and have a decat to go on, so it all makes sense to bin the SAI (especially now)...looks like it's cold fingers tomorrow then...

OK had a look today, I topped the water up (will flush and get coolant) to see if I could replicate the problem....but nope, nothing I could do make it steam again. I'm wondering if I overfilled the coolant tank the other day and it's caused it to leak out - the problem is that it leaked out (as steam) out of the part that Broken Byzan mentioned, the plastic housing on the side of the head. It feels and looks all in tact, it didn't leak after idling for 20 minutes, then went for a 30 minute drive (couple of 4krpm blasts, driving sedately, stop start stuff, so pretty varied), then idled for another 20 minutes, but nothing steamed out. I know it's not good as the seal (as mentioned above) must be perished or had too much pressure behind it causing it to leak, but today it's absolutely fine.

I'll leave the car for today and see if it returns tomorrow - I assume the freezing conditions last night and a lack of water causing it to overheat slightly meant that it's caused the seal to warp/change shape and cause it to leak?

What is the exact name for that plastic housing? Do I need the whole thing or just the seal? Do you reckon there could be any knock on problems or other problems that caused it to happen in the first place?

Probably not related but I need the air con regassed and running on ECON only has caused bacteria in the vents and the car stinks. Will get some of that air con cleaner (anti-bac) and it regassed, and now the heater controls aren't working!! This f8&king car only needs working on when it's freezing cold outside!!

Thge housing and seal are not expensive. perhaps change it sooner rather than later given your predicament :sex: