S3 using excessive oil.

Fabian808

Looking for parts :P
Reaction score
Hi guys I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on my situation. I commute 150 miles on Friday to get home from work, and then the same when I go back again on Sunday. I bought an S3 a couple of months ago and it has been fine but all of a sudden the low oil light came on, I topped it up with 1/2 litre and within 1 150 mile journey the light came back on again, so again I've put 1/2 a litre in, and now after the 3rd trip the light has come on for a third time. There are no oil leaks, no loss of power, and it isn't smoking at all. What can be at fault?

Audi suggest around a litre of oil is burnt every 1000miles.
Seems as your situation is normal to me.

Audi suggest around a litre of oil is burnt every 1000miles.
Seems as your situation is normal to me.

i think he means its using 1/2 a litre of oil for every 150 miles ?

Take the charge pipe to inter cooler pipe off and see if there is much oil in there. Or in the throttle body. Also check the oil drain plug, as the s3 has a aluminium sump if some one hasn't put it in correctly it will knacker the thread

Daft question, but why half a litre?

Usually, the difference between the min and max mark on the dipstick is 1 litre, but you don't usually get a warning light on the min mark, the warning light comes on when it's a bit lower than that.

So if that is the case, why half a litre? What's the dipstick saying?

The other thing to do is to get a piece of white cloth and give the side of the car (along the bottom) a wipe with one half of it and then give the rear of the car a wipe with the other half of the same side of the cloth. Compare the 2 half's and if the back half is noticeably blacker, then it could be oil residue being burnt through the exhaust.

Take the charge pipe to inter cooler pipe off and see if there is much oil in there. Or in the throttle body. Also check the oil drain plug, as the s3 has a aluminium sump if some one hasn't put it in correctly it will knacker the thread

yer al second that i was the reason the traffic wombles got to clean up all my oil after i swung a lil too hard on the old spanner . sorry if u use the m60 that was me that made u late .

Yes sorry for my bad explanation it's using about 1/2 a litre every 150 miles. Because I've been half way through my drive when the light comes on I've just topped it up with half a litre. But I will do as you say Pete and report back. Thank you :)

The "idiot" light coming on means the oil is REALLY low, well below the dipstick. Don't let it get that low or you'll stuff your engine eventually.

Top it up to full on the dipstick (not any fuller). Then you can monitor the usage/drop after each drive.

If I were you I'd be checking the level BEFORE every journey too.

My oil consumption depends on how hard I drive the car.

Liam