Nurburgring - in an S3?

I've done a few laps as passenger in a few S3's, and Driven my A3 around a few times :racer:

Why do you ask chap?

Never been myself, would love to go though if ASN is planing an outing... I'll show Sabine Schmitz hows its not done...:wub:

Reactions: willh92
would love to go though if ASN is planing an outing...

:think:

Hmmmm now there's a thought - I'm planning on going over there next year tbh. Got to many commitments this year to bundle it into this one.

Will be off to brands in September for my first track outing and then the ring is definitely on the cards for 2015.

You going over yoruself this year willh92?

I went a couple of years back in a previous car and loved every minute of it!
Think i would like it even more now if i took my s3 as my previous car was Japanese and uncomfortable and loud lol :undwech:

Reactions: N Jack S3
I'm up for it! Next year like prawn says though..

I did in 07. Great fun. Didnt time myself but safe to say i didnt brake the 7 min barrier. Had eibach springs only. Body roll was worst thing about the car.

I'm thinking of going at some point this year or next? It would be good to get a few of us over there at the same time!

Just wondering how our shape S3's handle it really and what sort of times can be had (I'm not pro by any means lol!)

Me personally I would not look at breaking lap records,just enjoy the track and most importantly get a sticker for your car.

Reactions: s3dave, superkarl and Clart
Me personally I would not look at breaking lap records,just enjoy the track and most importantly get a sticker for your car.

Yeah that's the idea really, the sticker is also a massive selling point! :jump:

a good service, etc is in order first though!

How about an ASN tour? Starting with a ferry to Amsterdam... :wacko:

Reactions: Pubemammal
Just wondering how our shape S3's handle it really and what sort of times can be had (I'm not pro by any means lol!)

A good S3 will be capable of well below 9 minutes easily if driven well.

Realistically, on your first visit, if you got anywhere near 10 minutes you'd be doing well, but in truth, timing yourself on your first trip is a very bad idea.

Also, A3's are faster around the Ring than S3's :laugh: sorry.

Reactions: Pubemammal
If we go I'm just going for the crack, not to set any records... And to try n pull Sabine Schmitz... :)

A good S3 will be capable of well below 9 minutes easily if driven well.

Realistically, on your first visit, if you got anywhere near 10 minutes you'd be doing well, but in truth, timing yourself on your first trip is a very bad idea.

Also, A3's are faster around the Ring than S3's :laugh: sorry.

I was chatting to a guy i know who is a racing driver about this. And to put into perspective how poor the s3 4wd system is on track he told me to run my s3 in fwd if i want to go for times. Not a great advert really. Im really hoping andrews 50 50 controller helps.
Hoping to go abingdon with him for some tuition very soon.

I went 2 years ago. Did 15 laps in my stage2 with pirelli rosso road tyres. Ok on road crap on track.
Paying for lap at 25euros and 15euros of fuel per lap. 40euros a pop. Best time of 8:10

Im no race driver and dont try to be, the whole experience of driving to the ring from southampton was brilliant and any car enthusiast will love the trip, the locals, the f1 track and museum, local bars and of course the ring and the amazing paddok at the entrance to the track. Everyone was so friendly and happy to offer advise and reccommendations especially where we stayed. It was called the burgstube. I went on the 500 weekend and if anyone wants the info I can firward it on. If your tempted to go GO!

Reactions: Clart
the beer is very good too

and the steak

and the schnitzel

and the beer, again :beerchug:

Reactions: Clart
Im going with another 2 s3's which will be stage 2. An mine also a couple other cars around 13 people in total :) were detouring to Amsterdam too for a couple days on way back :D

So, driving on the ring - in public sessions.

The short answer is, it's totally illegal, and you cannot insure against it.

Recent changes mean now pretty much every single UK insurer excludes the ring directly by name, to enter the track knowing this is every bit as illegal as driving uninsured here in England. You can buy insurance that covers your car and barrier charges, but you cannot insure against 3rd party loss, and that's the scary multi million pound risk.

If you have something as simple as a coolant hose split, and drop fluid, you are liable for everything that is a consequence of that fluid.

If a brand new gt3rs crashes on your coolant, and the occupants are paralysed in the crash, you are personally liable for the cost of the Porsche, and all the costs associated with the injuries of the occupants, medical care, loss of earnings, the whole lot. All from a coolant spill, and then there are criminal charges as a result when it comes out that you were knowingly uninsured? Is it really worth that risk for anyone?

It's also not a case of 'if' you crash, only when. In the 4-5 years I was going, every single one of our little group of friends at some point crashed, i didn't let this bother me and carried on regardless (although I was insured at the time), thinking it'll never happen to me, until eventually, it did. And in typical fashion, I had a bigger off than all the others of the people we went with.

The problem is, the ring isn't a race track officially when public sessions are held, it's a public road, officially recognised as a one way circular derestricted toll road, so full German road law applies!

You can buy Ring insurance for TF, but it's 1st party only and around £250 per day. you cannot buy 3rd party cover, and that's the single biggest risk, writing off your S3 or similar is the last of your worries when you've just totalled a 911 and the passenger has a broken neck.

10 years ago it wasn't excluded by anyone, and we were in the same position as the rest of europe (who are mainly still covered)

5 years ago insurers started catching onto the 'Ring Buzz' that was starting up, and started excluding it.

2 years ago cover was still possible, but only if you knew the right people.

Today? Forget it. Pretty much NOBODY on the UK Nurburgring forums drives public sessions any more, and those that do won't admit it becaue of how foolish it is.

Very sad, but the majority of people won't ever read something like the above, and will continue to go over there blindly not knowing the risks they are taking.

Reactions: JudderMan
I'd rather not know , as I'm pretty sure we do some illegal stuff on the roads everyday of our lives! 72mph in a 70 mph zone I like to live life on the edge you see :)

Sean

Reactions: JudderMan
I'd rather not know , as I'm pretty sure we do some illegal stuff on the roads everyday of our lives! 72mph in a 70 mph zone I like to live life on the edge you see :)

Sean

You maniac!!! Thats doesnt make you big it makes you reckless!!!

Tbh i will never be going back. The thought of pushing hard there scares me. Too many local places that you can learn and improve on quicker, safer And cheaper.its pointless going if your worried. Things have had to change out there i guess. I saw no less then 5 crashes in 2 days. Not massive but its the hassle and expense after that bothers me. Paying for loss of earnings while they shut it and damage to any of the rings property is likely even with a tiny incedent. Be careful if you go lol

Prawn I don't think anyone is under the illusion you are and can get insurance, its a well known fct.

Anyone who goes to the ring asking about times is a moron, so are people that ask you how fast you went. Its not a joke, its serious shizzle.
Timing is left for the pros to hone their skills and manufacturers to test and prove their product.

If you start racing a clock you WILL crash, prawn is the perfect example.

Its all about the culture and surroundings, its a surreal place and should be drunk in smoothly with lots of beer and lots of filming and photos of the place and cars.

Reactions: willh92 and kwistof
purely going for the experience couldnt care less about timings personaly, yes it is risky these days but just take it easy an hope! nothing goes wrong! :s

Don't get me wrong, I didn't start this thread thinking I'm going to be the next Sebastien Vettel, that would be - as Superkarl put it - moronic. I just wanted to hear about some of your lot's stories of the place before I go for a gentle lap or two of one of the most famous circuits in the world. By no means am I interested in timing myself and what not, let alone binning my car or someone else's!

Can't wait to get over there and experience the track, it's surroundings and the culture that goes with the country it's in - that being the beer!

it's nothing to do with timing yourself lads.

Simply by driving on it now, you're breaking the law, it's illegal, you're uninsured, and you risk EVERYTHING you have.

You don't need to be going fast to have an accident, coolant and fluid spills are everywhere.

If you don't know the track what's to say you'll be able to stop if there's a down'd biker in lying in the middle of the track? even if you are on a leisurely cruise? Who's to say you won't develope an oil, Powersteering fluid, or coolant leak on your leisurely lap? Driving fast has NOTHING to do with those things, yet the risk is just as high.

Sorry to **** on the bonfire chaps, but driving your OWN car on there now is utter madness and I'd stongly urge anyone considering it to forget that thought.

Go to the Ring by all means, it's the greatest place on earth for a petrol head, there really is nowhere better.

Soak up the atmosphere, enjoy the beer and the cars, but if you want to go on the track, either cough up £400 for a full days open pitlane day where 3rd party risk doesn't apply, or rent a Swift from Rent 4 Ring, because the chances are it'll be FAR more suited to the ring than your own car anway, and you're fully insured and legal.

Reactions: sssline and Adam P
I saw quite a few 8L's over there last time I went. I'm off this year but in an 8P.

I think its not as bad as you expect in my experience, there are a few crash's and obviously its dangerous its a track but if your sensible with it 99% of the time you will be fine. Timing is pointless in a road car too there's to many inconsistencies to factor into the lap of that size you cant even really compare the time you got with anything.

Its important that you understand cars that are a lot slower than you on the road will come flying past. I've been around in a few things, one of the lads I went with took me out he used to race formula ford, we went out in a 200hp 205 (quiet tame really) and were going past 911's, M3's, GTR's, then at the same time I was out in a SiroccoR and got past by plenty of smaller things like 106, corsa etc.

Dosent really matter how fast you can go round its just awesome being on it and having fun.

Fluid spills are bad though 3 guys crashed with us on the same corner within about 3-4 mins because of an oil spill.

it's nothing to do with timing yourself lads.

Simply by driving on it now, you're breaking the law, it's illegal, you're uninsured, and you risk EVERYTHING you have.

You don't need to be going fast to have an accident, coolant and fluid spills are everywhere.

If you don't know the track what's to say you'll be able to stop if there's a down'd biker in lying in the middle of the track? even if you are on a leisurely cruise? Who's to say you won't develope an oil, Powersteering fluid, or coolant leak on your leisurely lap? Driving fast has NOTHING to do with those things, yet the risk is just as high.

Sorry to **** on the bonfire chaps, but driving your OWN car on there now is utter madness and I'd stongly urge anyone considering it to forget that thought.

Go to the Ring by all means, it's the greatest place on earth for a petrol head, there really is nowhere better.

Soak up the atmosphere, enjoy the beer and the cars, but if you want to go on the track, either cough up £400 for a full days open pitlane day where 3rd party risk doesn't apply, or rent a Swift from Rent 4 Ring, because the chances are it'll be FAR more suited to the ring than your own car anway, and you're fully insured and legal.

Yeah, good food for thought there Prawn. Might actually consider that Swift rental idea!! Thanks for the heads up :thumbsup:

During my trip to the ring i simply enjoyed every moment of it, but i do agree with prawn on some of his points. When i was at the ring there were several nasty accidents and this will occur every couple of hours, or did when i was there. I was advised by a local who keeps his car there and flys over from Ireland every other weekend that having a passenger 'spot' for you is really helpful, especially on your first few laps. This is someone in you car who keeps an eye on traffic and your mirrors especially on things flying up behind you at ridiculous speeds. The bikes were my main concern as you would enter a set of corners and the rear view mirror was clear i would be exiting the corners and there would be a biker with his knee down in my blind spot. Dont get me wrong im going to go again and its an amazing experience, I just think if you go you should respect the worlds greatest race track imo.

Prawn makes a valid point. I've done a few medical reports for people involved in car accidents and cost quickly adds up in terms of medical fees/investigations/treatments etc not to mention legal costs and damages in terms of property and loss of earnings etc. If you're not insured you shouldn't be driving, at least that's how I see it. We all worry about uninsured drivers on the roads in the uk, yet we are willing to do exactly that somewhere else?

Prawn makes a valid point. If you're not insured you shouldn't be driving, at least that's how I see it. We all worry about uninsured drivers on the roads in the uk, yet we are willing to do exactly that somewhere else?

:iagree: :iagree: :iagree:

This man has understood my point entirely. I like him.

You wouldn't do it in your own country, where you speak the language, but you'd risk it abroad, where you don't speak the language, and don't fully understand the laws?

:busted_cop: :sos: :sob:

:end_of_discction:

Id sooner do 3 or 4 uk days for the same cost. The ring is epic. Simply brilliant. But it terrifies me for all the reasons above. Think people will have to agree to disagree on this one.

Reactions: Prawn