Nurburgring - in an S3?

Id sooner do 3 or 4 uk days for the same cost. The ring is epic. Simply brilliant. But it terrifies me for all the reasons above. Think people will have to agree to disagree on this one.

You've definitely got the right idea Daz, that's my new outlook, more Uk days and an annual trip to Spa instead. Much more enjoyable.

The ring is the most amazing place on earth, but the only option for us UK guys to drive it legally is a £400 trackday or a rental in public sessions.

People are more than welcome to disagree, but I'm making a bold statement here:

I am right.

Been there, done that, got the T shirt, the lap time, the crash video, and the multi thousand pound bill from when it all went wrong.

Be warned.

I talk the talk but at the moment im yet to do a trackday in this car lol. Im thinking abingdon first. Its 20 miles from home. If i kill it ill rip the plates off and walk home lol

I talk the talk but at the moment im yet to do a trackday in this car lol. Im thinking abingdon first. Its 20 miles from home. If i kill it ill rip the plates off and walk home lol

Go to Abingdon, it's a great track to start on, let me know when you're going and I'll try and come along too, I'd like to go back there this year. it was fun.

Ill defo do that!! have to fit a baffled sump then im set! Im thinking march april time. You can show me what to do lol. Ill message you when i know. Nothing listed for abingdon yet.

The ring is an epic tour, we did it for 5 years with a group of about 15 cars and bikes.
Some guys took cars on trailers or bikes in a 4x4 but the fast road trip is half the fun of it.

10 years ago (it was rumoured) on the return trip that the bikes would pull over into the nearest service to Dover remove number plates and ghost ride it back to liverpool....

Basically don't drive on any track if you're not prepared to stuff it. I'd never do it in my daily driver for sure, a few guys did but they ease off far earlier for fear of a ding.
I do UK track days on cars and bikes and rally events and yeah its good but we don't get the sunshine in gorgeous mountain roads and the autobahns as part of the road trip.

Ah, the good old days.

Last edited:
Go to Abingdon, it's a great track to start on, let me know when you're going and I'll try and come along too, I'd like to go back there this year. it was fun.

Fancy popping along Brands on the 15th September for an evening session?

Got a cheeky bit of free tuition thrown in from an ex F1 driver and Le Mans 24hr racer to nurse me into my first track outing :)

I really wanna take my mrs on a track day.... And scare the living **** out of her... And me!

I echo what's been said about the Nurburgring ...10 - 15 years ago, you could have a blast ... the track was often clear so you could get a fast lap, filming was allowed, there was no ANPR and insurance and breakdown was easier to organise albeit still slightly ambiguous ... Now it is far too risky, especially as accidents are more likely due to it being much busier (as I understand and read) and so much of the fun will therefore have been replaced by having to be so cautious of others ... On one of my trips back in around 2005 involved in a track closing accident by one of my party with barrier damage ... needless to say it was quite expensive (IIRC around 10k) and there were no injuries or 3rd parties involved ... I am sure it is possible to still have a great time though without incident but IMHO there are too many risk factors now which would change your life either financially or health wise ...This is also another thing that can happen if you're too enthusiastic !

Last edited by a moderator:
Isnt the fact that it is a public toll road and not classed as a race track easier to get insured, or am i missing something? been 5 times mainly late nineties early 00s and remember asking if i was insured, and they said not on any track days....

On track days you are not on the road Dave, thats the thing, there is no 3rd party liability, it's largely just 'tough luck' and knock for knock should it ever come to it.

On the road though, insurance is mandatory, and sadly due to a number of seriously HIGH claims (we're talking multiples of 10k and in some cases more) over the last 10 years or so, every single UK insurer now excludes the ring, either directly by name or through some other clause.

In reality, what will happen is that your insurer will pay out if a mega claim came through, and then they absolutely would (and do) chase you down for it through the UK courts, and you will NOT win that one. most likely outcome from a 'big one' is that you lose your house and go bankrupt.

All depends on the severity of the event / incident, but best case from a 'big one' is UK court process and banrupcy. Worst case of potentially german prison.

I've seen the german police actually follow a trail of oil from the track exit following an accident on an oil spill. They eventually traced the oil leak to a UK Nova and arrested the owner for leaving the scene of an accident.

or you could rent :laugh:

Reactions: s3dave
And you have just got to ask yourself why would any UK car driver go all the way to the Nurburgring simply to drive around a 'public toll road' as it isn't exactly an alpine pass or the amalphi coast ... They wouldn't, and so insurance companies are no longer leaving themselves open to ambiguity about the cover as they are now aware of what the Nurburgring actually is rather than what it can be defined as - IMHO, and quite simply, it is a race track ... and they could also determine if you were there or not with the surveilance in place ...

Reactions: Prawn
So your saying it would be fellow petrol heads that would sue you, although they are on the same track, hmmm times have changed..
When i was there you fixed your own car in a bump and had a laugh in the bar afterwards..

it'd all be handled through insurance though, that's the thing, you legally have to have it, so the injured party just claims through their insurance, who in turn turn to your insurance, who either tell them to do one, then you're in BIG trouble, or they pay it and chase you for the costs in the UK courts.

Either way, it's uninsured, and illegal, whether an accident happens or not, driving fault or innocent mechanical issue, it's all on you, and the risk is simply mind blowing.