Monster MotorsportAH Fabrications
    6th Gear

Status

Regarding F1 GDS3\'s......

.........has anyone noticed is these cold conditions that when u turn the steering wheel left or right when the car has been stationary, that u feel the steering judder a bit, im on 17's with about 28psi.
    Only does it when cold, but lookin at the alloy while turnin the wheel, u can see that the tyre seems to grip, with the sidewall flexing a bit, maybe cuz of lower psi, need to try it with more air in, just wondered if anyone else had this affect.

Cheers

Rich

PS doesnt happen whislt driving

2. # ADS
    ADS

Numptie of the highest order

Status

Re: Regarding F1 GDS3\'s......

Should be at least 32Psi if it's anything like my S3 and I think I'm at 34front and 36rear I do notice what you are talking ocasionally - normally in wet uneven, cold carparts at full lock, but I just assumed it's to do with the geometry of the wheel etc.

6th Gear

Status

yes, only when i drive the car for the first thing in the morning, and reverse out of my drive on full lock, i though i had a flat the first time, and that the rim was scraping on the floor.

Sounds horrible.

EDIT: (doh, I must re-read title next-time - this is on bridgestones)

6th Gear

Status

[ QUOTE ]
    yes, only when i drive the car for the first thing in the morning, and reverse out of my drive on full lock, i though i had a flat the first time, and that the rim was scraping on the floor.

Sounds horrible.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah same here, when turnin wheel to reverse off drive, glad im not imagining it, lol.

Whats the best PSI i shud be running then with 225/45/17's then, currently on F 28psi, R 30psi.

I kept the fronts lower to reduce the understeer, which works well.
    Shud i just go for 30psi front and rears at 32psi to keep the balance?

MTIA

imported_CurryMilkShake

Yes, very consistently - Having chatted with my tyre supplier, they say this is normal for these - the compound on these is very temperature sensitive, and until the tyres get up to temperature (which they do very quickly) the compound is very hard - and with angled tread pattern it means that it doesnt flex as easy when cold, making the noise we all hear..

I run at about 33psi all round

Status

For my S3 it suggests (on the sticker in the fuel flap) 32Psi all round for 225/45/17 with no load and 36Psi F and 42Psi R with full load.

...Watching you!

Status

i use 34F/36R

Rich

Status

My misses has complained about this too. I thought she was going mad but obviously not!

She'l be happy tonight when I tell her its not in her head! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

S3 Drift King!

Status

It is better to run slightly lower tyre pressures, say 2-3psi lower than what you use in wet conditions for better grip.

imported_ZeroK66

Interesting... I have always had F1's - I had always just assumed it was the older car/higher mileage causing it. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Status

Thumbs up again for these tyres (and the S3), I had "a moment" today where I basically ended up going around a bend significatly faster than normal (60mph+ constant on a bend marked 30 from memory which I normally take at 40ish) and I didn't so much as get a chirp from the tyres it just stuck and this was with the car saying -2.5 on the dash.

My hat is well and truely off to the guys at both haldex and goodyear! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bravo.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif[/img]

6th Gear

Status

Yeah these are a great combo, the only thing ive noticed as a slight downfall, nothing to worry about by any means (but cud be due to my lower pressures anyways) is the fact of the very soft sidewalls, u lose a lil steering feel, as compared with say the directional mich pilot sports.

But hey cant have it all, i used to use the original F1's and where very very good, even with about 2-3mm tread, soo soo grippy, and when i heard they changed the tread pattern, i was like..erm..ooh..are they gonna be any better, cuz they were great b4, but having now had these lil beauties on for over 10K im very impressed and will most certainly never change to another brand.
    Hats off to Goodyear [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] think they needed a tyre as good as this cause they were in trouble a few years back ...well done!!!!!

hmmmmm interesting.

Status

Thank you all.......

Im not mad. What a relief.

5th Gear

Status

ill be glad to see the back of mine.

I dont rate them at all,

Ill go back to my trusty Mitchelins.