Finally getting rid of these cr*ppy avons!

dickys3

Staff member
Reaction score
I did a really bad thing a while ago and bought RS4 replicas with horrible Avon ZZ1 tyres.

As soon as I fitted them, the handling went terrible!

I managed to wear out the fronts and replaced them with F1's but I have been stuck with these awfull things at the rear! Well I have finally had enough of the awful noise they are making (tyres have gone out of shape and have worn funny on the insides) and will be having new F1's fitted on Saturday for a wonderful price of £220 all in!

Cant wait!

Note to anyone ever contemplating getting Avon ZZ1's - Don't bother!

Buy cheap, buy twice is my Motto! (Although that probably doesn't apply in this case as the Avon's are quite expensive)

Learnt from experience about the Avon's. I will now only run F1's on my car.

The Avons were cheap and I believe this is the problem.

I don't drive my car daily so when I do I prefer it to handle and grip well.

Only F1's for me too from now on..

[ QUOTE ]
The ZZ3's seems to be fine. Must just be the ZZ1's ?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah ZZ3's are ok, its just the shabby zz1's!

i heard that, have some zz3's on and they have been ok, never tried the zz1's

Mt Passat loves the ZZ3s, nice combination of grip and wear rate, on my third set right now! Then again, it's no S3 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

as said above, zz3's are fine! Ita ZZ1's that are rubbish..

You can buy cheap if you do your homework.

I remeber being one of the first guys on clubgti to get a set of toyo proxies when they use to be £25 a corner!

No point spending over the odds IMO.

[ QUOTE ]
You can buy cheap if you do your homework.

I remeber being one of the first guys on clubgti to get a set of toyo proxies when they use to be £25 a corner!

No point spending over the odds IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

OK yes there are exceptions, but most of the time my Motto is correct.

I have ZZ3's... been fine for me. Just out of interest for those that have them, how many miles are you getting out of a set? Mine have done roughly 12k at the mo...

My RS4 reps came with Federals on. I now wish i'd have paid the extra for ZZ3's.
Trying my hardest to wear them out quickly so i can go with ZZ3's next time round. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Well had them done and the difference is night and day!

Handling is much better and the aweful wheel bearing type noise has finally gone! Really happy.

Damage was £220.70! Not bad price also!

"Buy cheap, buy twice is my Motto!"
Usually correct but with tyres it's more like "buy cheap & write your car off" as cheap doesn't mean they wear quicker, they just don't grip and you can't have grip without wear.

As I've said before I don't think you can do better than the goodyear F1 GSD3s for the mix of price / performance as I've had expensive pirellis, michelins and vredesteins and I don't think they were as good performance wise as the goodyears, but they did perhaps last a little longer - again though when you look at the price difference between there is no contest! I think the only ones that I haven't tried that might compare are the Toyo T1S or R but to be honest I don't think I'll change any time soon.

ZZ-1 are like ebony - I couldn't kill them on my S3... They were dire.

However, the toyo t1-r that replaced them were very grippy but unpset the handling badly. There was excessive movement from the tread blocks and the car felt alot more unsettled.

I would avoid t1-r for the S3 and I hear the new keeper has gone for ZZ-3 - which he is very pleased with.

Ill be glad to get rid of my Goodyear Eagle F1's

I dont rate them, or see what the fuss is about.

Ill be happy back on my Mitchelin Pilots

I've heard good reviews (i.e. from people who can actually drive) about the ZZ3, Pilot Sport PS2s and Bridgestone S03...

I'm glad to be back on Vredesteins, Ultracs this time. Local garage that does all my general servicing gave me a deal at £85 a corner including VAT, valves balancing and fitting.
I've had them on my last 4 cars and honestly can't fault them.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why don't you like them Paul? Just curious?

I've had the ZZ1s and the ZZ3s and IMO they were all /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/swear.gif. Noisiest tyres I've ever had. Tho they apparently work well on the subarus.

Chris.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why don't you like them Paul? Just curious?

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont feel as confident with them as the Mitchelins.

I dont feel they give me the level of grip i had before,

and I swear they are more noisy.

I get more feedback from the Michelins.

Just wondering paul, but what pressures do you have them at? as I think the pressures make more of a difference on the F1s that they did on my old pirellis or the other tyres - I know when there right now!

I absolutely hate the Dunlops I've got on my Octavia - they understeer massively on any kind of road surface, and really restrict when I can accelerate out of a corner.

As soon as I can, I always swap to Michelin Pilots (I had Pilot Primacy on my A3 I think, or whatever their replacement model was called), and I thought they were excellent - good grip, good wear, and stable all year 'round. I sold my A3 having done something like 25 or 30k miles on a set, and they still had loads of life left.

I run my tyres at 32psi all round, sometimes a bit softer.

36 all round. Audi recommendation for 18" on the S3.

I dont like going lower as on the bumpy stuff round here, with the Quattro lowered suspension, i can occasionally scuff the inner arches.

my fronts are getting low so are f1's or michelin best?? or just replace the pirellis with new uns

I think it depends on what you want - I go for Michelins because they give me the grip level I need, and a long life, but others will prefer brands with more grip and perhaps a shorter life.

Have to say Michelins are the ones. They really are expensive though. What Pirellis did you have ?

Chris.