Calipers dragging, easy fix or not?

bigdavevw

Reaction score
Hi guys, my T sport has just failed its MOT due to both front callipers dragging. I would like to fix this myself rather than paying the garage to do it.

So I was wondering if it is an easy fix like removing the pads, pushing the pistons out then spraying lube onto the seals? Would it be easier to just replace the seals or would this not be economical due to the piston and bore wear?

Funds are quite low so I cant really afford to buy 2 new or recon units.

Dave

Hi guys, my T sport has just failed its MOT due to both front callipers dragging. I would like to fix this myself rather than paying the garage to do it.

So I was wondering if it is an easy fix like removing the pads, pushing the pistons out then spraying lube onto the seals? Would it be easier to just replace the seals or would this not be economical due to the piston and bore wear?

Funds are quite low so I cant really afford to buy 2 new or recon units.

Dave

What makes you think it's the pistons sticking? More likely to be the guide pins.

It's worth replacing the guide bushes, there probably shot and the new ones improve the pedal feel. guide bushes are cheap from here: www.vwspares.co.uk

Give the guide pins a good clean up and grease with pagid Cera-Tec. Suspect that will sort the problem.

i had an advisory on my rears for the same, it was corrosion on the carrier causing the pads to stick
5 minutes with a file cleaning up the area where the "ears" of the pads make contact with the carrier, easy job

simple to check, with the calliper off, the pads should move fairly easily, you will need to unclip the inner one from the calliper piston to do this
m