Audi Rear Bush Removal Tool Kit - Anyone used one???

mark_S3

Team Silver
Reaction score
Hellloooo....

Need to replace my 4 x Nasty Rose Joints on the rear hub on my 2000 S3.

Just wondering if anyone has used the Rear Bush Removal Tool Kit, as like the below links

VW Audi Rear In Situ Suspension Bush Removal and Installation Tool | eBay

Audi A3 Mk1, TT MK1, VW Jetta 99-05 Rear Suspension Bush Removal Installer Tool | eBay

Theres quite a few kits listed on eBay and various places ranging from £30plus...

If you have used one, how easy are they to use??? And what kit did you use.

I know taking off the hub and pressing them out/in is the ideal option, but funds, time and having car off the road means I cannot do this option.

Need to order one sharpish, so I can get those nasty rose joints out.

Cheers
Mark

Hellloooo....

Need to replace my 4 x Nasty Rose Joints on the rear hub on my 2000 S3.

Just wondering if anyone has used the Rear Bush Removal Tool Kit, as like the below links

VW Audi Rear In Situ Suspension Bush Removal and Installation Tool | eBay

Audi A3 Mk1, TT MK1, VW Jetta 99-05 Rear Suspension Bush Removal Installer Tool | eBay

Theres quite a few kits listed on eBay and various places ranging from £30plus...

If you have used one, how easy are they to use??? And what kit did you use.

I know taking off the hub and pressing them out/in is the ideal option, but funds, time and having car off the road means I cannot do this option.

Need to order one sharpish, so I can get those nasty rose joints out.

Cheers
Mark

They look like there designed to the rear beam (2wd) or trailing arm bushes. Not the rose joints.

I made my own tool up out of a piece of high tensile threaded bar and a couple of old sockets.

They look like there designed to the rear beam (2wd) or trailing arm bushes. Not the rose joints.

I made my own tool up out of a piece of high tensile threaded bar and a couple of old sockets.

Was this a fairly easy option?

Like did it do the job relative easy? Just dunno where to source the bar from? I've got some large sockets but unsure what sizes I need.

I've got the cash to take it to a garage but rather save the cash for other items I need and do it myself.

Was this a fairly easy option?

Like did it do the job relative easy? Just dunno where to source the bar from? I've got some large sockets but unsure what sizes I need.

I've got the cash to take it to a garage but rather save the cash for other items I need and do it myself.

Can't remember the socket sizes, but if you buy the bushes then you and get your sockets sorted in advance. You need one that is fractionally smaller then the outer metal casing on the bush, so it can push against it but not get stuck in the hub.

The other needs to be big enough for the bush to just fit inside. An old scrap of metal tube will work for this also.

I usually pick my high tensile threaded bar up from toolstation, only a couple of pounds for a meter.
Make sure it is high tensile, the standard stuff will just round off.

Its not too bad a job, but a few sharp taps with the hammer every time it gets tight when winding the old bush out helps a lot.

Have a look here for a diy guide: The Audi TT Forum :: View topic - DIY replacement of the rear traverse link rose joint/ bushes

Reactions: mark_S3
Got the bushes already Jim, and looking at the guide a socket at 40mm and 60mm will be good from what I've measured.

Might do it this way.... Pick up a good sized high tensile bar, numerous big washers, and some bolts.
Going to give it a go this weekend plus gotta fit some new drop links, Powerflex Bushes on the ARB and some new Polybushes in the lower control arms. And I've got my s3dave's Adjustable Arms to go on aswell. Then off for 4WA....
Hopefully Happy Days After! ;-)

Get it mark, I'll give you some beer tokens to do mine :icon_thumright: