Volks AutosAH Fabrications
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree55Likes

Thread: BBT hybrid with New Badger5 high flow k04 exhaust manifold first tests look promising

My other car is a MINI!!!!

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by superkarl View Post
    Deeply truly sorry prawn. I thought it was more

That's OK SuperK I remember these things
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Prawns TFSI Turbo'd 1.8T Track Car

But I know nothing so ignore me.

2. # ADS
    ADS

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by badger5 View Post
    when you change hardware mods, I would always suggest custom map to make benefit from improved hardware.
    It would help, but I would not expect by much.

I would be putting my ££ on other mods first to improve flow, cooling etc... intake, downpipe, fmic... then the slippery slope takes hold
    Thanks for the answer Bill, much appreciated.
    Audi S3 AMK, Badger 5 Tip with Cone and Heat Shield, Forge 007P (green spring), de-cat pipe

MAN OF STEEL

Status
    One thing that needs to be answered with these small turbos is whether inlet manifold upgrades will yield anything.
    Obv at 350+hp they're moving a fair amount of air, so the answer is probably.

Put tufftys mani on there while he paints something, please. No one has ever experimented with that on one of these yet
    Broken Byzan likes this.

Cylinder Head Master

Status
    These manifolds are all about trying to get the gasses out fast and free flowing as thats the main restriction on these engines

BB has done a good job with his hybrids and now Bill has added to it but there will be a limit to what these can flow and adding a inlet it may only have a small gain
    RIP S3dave/David Marshall stickers now available
    FOR SALE
    Sparco Torino 2 sport seats, None resonated Milltek exhaust,
    Adjustable FPR from 1-5 bar, 2 sets of Unused ARP 3/8 2000 rod bolts, relentless 200 cell cat pipe, Std AGU Crankshaft. Ported & Reconditioned Cylinder head service.

1st Gear

Status
    Lupo still uses the stock inlet manilfold????
    Talking about the 800hp by 0-400 S3 : "Is it true that everytime you take this car down the strip, the earths rotation slows by 0.1 % ??"

Let's Do This

Status

manifolds working well. egt's nice 845-855 max on the 23psi level
    Where is the probe, Bill? Or does the car have one fitted as stock?

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    One thing that needs to be answered with these small turbos is whether inlet manifold upgrades will yield anything.

Put tufftys mani on there while he paints something, please. No one has ever experimented with that on one of these yet
    It won't fit the Lupo dude... the std mani only just goes in, my runners and large plenum make the mani stick out too far for it sadly...

<tuffty/>
    Silver 2001 AMK S3. Silver alcantara interior... now with added powarrrrrrrr, torques. VAGCOM + KII-USB. >> My build thread...

2nd Gear

Status

I've got a bigger inlet manifold on mine, along with some of Andrews headwork. Should find out in the next month if its been beneficial or not

RIP S3dave

Status

we have done said test some while back...
    on this output you loose as much as you gain.. intake is'nt the problem at this level
    **http://www.facebook.com/Badger5Ltd**

NEW NEW NEW eShop now LIVE>
    www.badger5.biz

Badger 5 Ltd, Queen Annes Gate, Oldends Lane, Stonehouse, Glos, GL10 2DG

http://www.badger5.co.uk, Tel:01453822880
    bill@badger5.co.uk
    **NEW** Badger5 Section CLICK here>> http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/213-badger-5/

RIP S3dave

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by slappy_dunbar View Post
    Where is the probe, Bill? Or does the car have one fitted as stock?
    stock 023 position doug.. in the turbo

www.badger5.biz

bill@badger5.co.uk

RIP S3dave

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedrosousa View Post
    Lupo still uses the stock inlet manilfold????

its a Stock AUM engine.. Smallport etc etc.
    just got some rods in it thats all.

www.badger5.biz

bill@badger5.co.uk

6th Gear

Status
    Well this all looks very good,
    So it looks like my new map will have to wait until i have this manifold and any other supporting mods,
    Noggy Blue 2001 S3

I ask questions because i change my mind so much. If i ask questions you have already covered... just leave it be?

Let's Do This

Status
    stock 023 position doug.. in the turbo
    Actually, I raised the question before I understood the turbo's configuration. At first I'd thought it was a k16-series compressor teamed to a K04 turbine rotor. But now I understand it's the other way around.

Interesting design exercise, I have to say. What airflows are you running? Can you replace the EGT probe with a pressure sensor? It'd be instructive to see how the back-pressures are for a given airflow. As you know, we've seen pressures as high as 70psi in the "ChinaFold" when running exhaust from 280g/s airflow.

Granted, the back-pressures were partly owing to the unconventional 2.0L "FrankenStroker" design (which sucked), but it was enough impetus for us to re-think the turbine rotor for slightly increased flow.

MAN OF STEEL

Status
    Didn't you experience exhaust gas reversion at one point Doug? Due to the back pressures?
    And had to upgrade valve springs accordingly.
    what manifold was that on?

6th Gear

Status
    Actually, I raised the question before I understood the turbo's configuration. At first I'd thought it was a k16-series compressor teamed to a K04 turbine rotor. But now I understand it's the other way around.

Interesting design exercise, I have to say. What airflows are you running? Can you replace the EGT probe with a pressure sensor? It'd be instructive to see how the back-pressures are for a given airflow. As you know, we've seen pressures as high as 70psi in the "ChinaFold" when running exhaust from 280g/s airflow.

Granted, the back-pressures were partly owing to the unconventional 2.0L "FrankenStroker" design (which sucked), but it was enough impetus for us to re-think the turbine rotor for slightly increased flow.

what turbine you gone with then?

Ive got a 1/2 clipped turbine I'm testing at present.. I don't like clipping but I'm hoping / thinking that as this turbine was designed for the tfsi I'm doing that it might help with back pressures some what..

RIP S3dave

Status
    as an aside the exducer on the k16 turbine measures larger than the gtx2867 I have here.. lol

I will see what I can do re back pressure testing.. MrsB for now has it back so I am leaving it alone.. so she can actually drive her car again after many many months..

www.badger5.biz

bill@badger5.co.uk

Photographic Moderator

Status

My Social Networking

Follow Broken Byzan On Twitter Add Broken Byzan on Facebook Add Broken Byzan on Google+ Visit Broken Byzan's Youtube Channel
    looks like 28 frame turbos are a pointless exercise

Let's Do This

Status
    as an aside the exducer on the k16 turbine measures larger than the gtx2867 I have here.. lol
    GTX 2867 turbine rotor is 53.9/47
    K16 rotors are typically 55/49, whether used in a diesel truck or in the TTRS.

I will see what I can do re back pressure testing.. MrsB for now has it back so I am leaving it alone.. so she can actually drive her car again after many many months..
    Make sure to use a braided line as a stand-off from the exhaust housing, else you'll melt the MAP sensor.

MAN OF STEEL

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Broken Byzan View Post
    yayyyyy

6th Gear

Status
    GTX 2867 turbine rotor is 53.9/47
    K16 rotors are typically 55/49, whether used in a diesel truck or in the TTRS.

Make sure to use a braided line as a stand-off from the exhaust housing, else you'll melt the MAP sensor.

You are correct Doug, but this one is the 5015/5028 46mm exducer one. The 49mm one with the associated extra clearance I run wouldn't fit.. Leaves the edging too thin and almost breaks through to waste gate..

Still a k16..

MAN OF STEEL

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by beachbuggy View Post
    You are correct Doug, but this one is the 5015/5028 46mm exducer one. The 49mm one with the associated extra clearance I run wouldn't fit.. Leaves the edging too thin and almost breaks through to waste gate..

Still a k16..
    yayyyyy

Let's Do This

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by beachbuggy View Post
    Still a k16..
    Well you probably know me well enough by now to reckon that I pooh-pooh a design that shifts power so far rightwards in the graph. But I'm glad to know you went with the smaller-exducer rotor variant. If I were to explore a K16-spec rotor, that's the one I'd choose as well. So now I'm surprised spool is so slow on the rotor you chose. Did you over-bore the turbine housing?

6th Gear

Status
    Well you probably know me well enough by now to reckon that I pooh-pooh a design that shifts power so far rightwards in the graph. But I'm glad to know you went with the smaller-exducer rotor variant. If I were to explore a K16-spec rotor, that's the one I'd choose as well. So now I'm surprised spool is so slow on the rotor you chose. Did you over-bore the turbine housing?
    I think you'll find and I am sure Bill confirm it's the way it's mapped and not the spool speed.. I can confirm that even with over clearance it still spools perfectly well if you allow it..

RIP S3dave

Status
    This is'nt mapped to get spool asap and hard... it will surge.. and its also in a 970kg lupo with front wheel drive..
    I have brought in the boost progressively, not pegged n75 100% to get it to spool asap.. I did'nt try that.. I might do on next opportunity to look see, but early onset would need to be lower boost to ride the surge line.. It spools on the road like a normal K04 hybrid, full chat spool at 3-3.5krpm..

boost onset on the 372bhp max run is below.. You will see from 3.5k I am holding it back to ride the edge of surge
    Last edited by badger5; 7th January 2014 at 12:34.
    AJC, Westy, Gops and 1 others like this.

www.badger5.biz

bill@badger5.co.uk

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Broken Byzan View Post
    Really?
    Small exhaust turbines with increased back pressure tend to surge like a $%*@$ at high boost.
    Hence the need to reign then in with the EBC (N75 in this case) at lower RPM.
    Thats why the Eliminator series of turbos never really took off, the turbine was just too small to flow like a real GT28.

In theory turbo's run most efficient just under the surge line threshold so its a compromise.

I do love the spirit of trying new combinations. The TFSI hybrids shuld be interesting!

RIP S3dave

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by antwan64og View Post
    Really?
    Small exhaust turbines with increased back pressure tend to surge like a $%*@$ at high boost.
    Hence the need to reign then in with the EBC (N75 in this case) at lower RPM.
    Thats why the Eliminator series of turbos never really took off, the turbine was just too small to flow like a real GT28.

In theory turbo's run most efficient just under the surge line threshold so its a compromise.

I do love the spirit of trying new combinations. The TFSI hybrids shuld be interesting!

GT28RS, 350bhp level turbo......

This is performing no less, and is k04 based so if the car was a k04 to start with, much of it is reusable.. oil,water lines, downpipe, 80mm TIP......

The exhaust turbine on this is'nt smaller discharge diameter than a GTX2867 I have here.. I measured.

www.badger5.biz

bill@badger5.co.uk

Status
    I wonder how the turbine size on my TFSI unit compared to the various GT28 options? I think Dan said he was using the K16 turbine in the TFSI hybrids too so I'd assume it's larger.

All very interesting stuff and it's great that the game is still being moved on.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Neutral

Status
    At least now the K04 1.8T hybrid can realise the potential of its compressor wheel like its bigger 2.0T TFSI bigger brother. This is a big step up and great to see the whp going past 320bhp too. I know i'll be shot for even thinking it but is 400 bhp that ridiculous a possibility.

RIP S3dave

Status
    400bhp.... lol..

get 372bhp and he wants more - lol

I have'nt fitted all the planned hardware tho...
    Gops, wild willy and AVLO like this.

www.badger5.biz

bill@badger5.co.uk

Neutral

Status
    400bhp.... lol..

get 372bhp and he wants more - lol

I have'nt fitted all the planned hardware tho...
    Enough is never enough Lol.

MAN OF STEEL

Status
    GT28RS, 350bhp level turbo......

This is performing no less, and is k04 based so if the car was a k04 to start with, much of it is reusable.. oil,water lines, downpipe, 80mm TIP......

The exhaust turbine on this is'nt smaller discharge diameter than a GTX2867 I have here.. I measured.
    the gt28rs has not only a smaller compressor but different turbine to a full size gt28 turbine?

Either way, these new hybrids are making gt2871/67 turbos in IWG forms prrrretty obselete

1st Gear

Status
    the gt28rs has not only a smaller compressor but different turbine to a full size gt28 turbine?

Either way, these new hybrids are making gt2871/67 turbos in IWG forms prrrretty obselete
    Sorry, I was referring the actual manifold to turbo housing size.
    Its what 41mm standard so thats 1320mm squared.
    LOBA offer to port their Ko4 manifold to 44mm making it 1520mm squared.
    a 4 bolt GT28 gasket is 52,9 x 40.3mm which is over 2000mm squared.

I thought this was the bottleneck, since we can already bolt big compressor housings up.

Regardless of that, I'd definately rock one of the new hybrids. Saves a ton of custom fabrication work!

RIP S3dave

Status
    You have ASSUMED this is std size.. It is not

47mm Bore.. 1734^mm

This is just inlet to throat not A/R of course
    Last edited by badger5; 8th January 2014 at 17:08.

www.badger5.biz

bill@badger5.co.uk

5th Gear

Status
    Im very interested in this route. For someone who cant diy, to be able to keep things simple for the machanic keeps costs down. You can do the tune in stages rather than pay out loads in one go.and a 310bhp s3 must fly!! When i had my first s3 in 06 people said hybrids would be pointless.the k04 is to small and gets hot.heres what can be done when people push boundries. Awesome work!!

1st Gear

Status
    Bill, sorry if I missed it but is the turbo mounting with this manifold far off stock?
    i.e. Will an existing ko4 down pipe mate up and a standard 80 mm Ko4 TIP or will it require custom bits.

Neutral

Status
    Nice results Bill! Fantastic work with the R&D as always.

quick question, what would you say is an average Transmission loss for FWD car?

RIP S3dave

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by antwan64og View Post
    Bill, sorry if I missed it but is the turbo mounting with this manifold far off stock?
    i.e. Will an existing ko4 down pipe mate up and a standard 80 mm Ko4 TIP or will it require custom bits.
    stuff should bolt straight on. OE position.
    std 80mm Badger5 TIP fits straight on.. no change.. its just a mainfold.

www.badger5.biz

bill@badger5.co.uk

RIP S3dave

Status
    A brief fitment guide is available for this Manifold
    downloadable pdf from here> http://www.badger-5.com/bin/k04-mani...nt%20Guide.pdf

www.badger5.biz

bill@badger5.co.uk

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Prawn View Post
    Nope, I'm not. 352 is less than 353 where I did maths!
    Lol guys wonder what my car would make on this manifold as it stands my car is making 350bang on bhp at 1.4 bar on the Dino up North
    350bhp & 316ftlb BBT new k16 7+7 blade hybrid turbo, Welly cooler, jetex filter, relentless ported v3 manifold 3" downpipe & de-cat, liquid gauge, r32 rear arb, AGU ported and polished Head, 550cc injectors, kw v2 Coilovers, s3dave tie bars & heat sheild, milltek cat back, I.E forged rods, brembos, inline fuel pump, v3 badger 5 tip, devils own WMI kit, AGU pistons, rear grooved discs & brembo pads, ds2500 pads & EBC ultimax disc, stack boost gauge

Status
    Only one way to find out.....

my personal thoughts are that without the added bore it's unlikely to make MORE power than a relentless, which are known to flow well.

the difference here is, this is well made, and will last the test of time. That's been the quest that until now has been impossible.
    s3gazz likes this.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast