Engine rebuild advice

dusty

Reaction score
Hi everyone happy new year, I have a 2001 amk s3 that has been off the road for a couple of months with a bent con rod, I'm planning on building a new engine when I have collected all the parts together, I'm hoping to fit the tfsi turbo, forged rods, new piston rings, balance the bottom end and possibly port and polish cylinder head, I was wondering if it would be beneficial to fit agu pistons as these are higher compression and agu cylinder head as these are larger ports to my amk, or would it not be worthwhile with the tfsi turbo, I've read the agu parts aren't needed unless you are aiming for 450+bhp, but I would like to have the best performing engine for its spec, any input would be appreciated thanks.

Yea thanks Karl I've read through prawns epic build thread a couple of times I thought it would be better with the agu parts just wanted to be sure, is there anything else worth upgrading while I'm doing the build

Make sure the head gets a good refurb with guides, seals and a skim is all id say. If you have the time and money.

I wanted to ARP everything on my engine for the hell of it but, funds wouldn't allow. Maybe do that if you have the cash.

Are the AGU pistons found in the other large port engines? I have a AEB engine stashed at the back of my garage, planning to use the head, but not sure if anything in the bottom end is of use?

I'm pretty sure all the ko3 based engines have the higher compression pistons