Turbo cool down time??

temp

Reaction score
Just getting a new turbo fitted to my s3 and I am wanting to look after it from the start £££££ . What is the best way of cooling the turbo down after a drive and how long?? Would ya just sit and let it tick over for a couple of mins. Is there any thing you can buy to put on the car so the car turns the engine of it self have seen this on a Evo???? Carnt wait til get car back!!! ;-)

If I've been out ragging the car about on the last few miles on the way home I take it steady stay of boost then when I get to the house give it a min on idle

Reactions: s3_trev
Hi, on track or after a road drive we always run on low power for a few minutes to settle things down before stopping, then when stopped let the car tick over for 2/3 minutes or after a spirited drive 4/5 mins. Bearing in mind that we are running 380 brake.

The car is fitted with an after run pump as standard, and will circulate coolant to your turbo after you shut it off. Just make sure it works. Its located on the drivers side of the radiator at the top.

In addition to that, DO NOT be boosting the thing when cold, always wait till the WATER is at 90, and even then oil won't be up to optimum temp, so build your enthusiasm gradually.
And cruise gently for the last couple of miles.

Reactions: s3_trev
S3 has an after run pump to continue circulating coolant round the turbo for around 10mins after the ignition is switched off too... as said though if you have ragged it allow yourself a few mins of your journey to let stuff cool a bit...

Don't even think about fitting a turbo timer... they are technically illegal...

<tuffty/>

I am interested in this as well actually, although I am running the standard KO4 on my '09.
The car is fitted with an after run pump as standard
S3 has an after run pump to continue circulating coolant round the turbo
I suspected as much, is it audible after turning the car off? As I have heard a pump noise before and assumed that's what it was. Although I always let the car idle for a while before turning it off, if I have been driving hard.

Thanks for that will listen out for the pump not sure if heard it before it's been about 6 weeks since drove it like so have forgot really. Had enough of driving around in a 950 3 cylinder corsa just want my car back now.

After switching of stick your ear at the grill and you will hear it