S3 8L Imola Yellow - Rear suspension low

Moley55

If in doubt, flat out!
Reaction score
Hi everyone just bought a S3 8L Imola Yellow, when I bought it the rear suspension was low and I was told it possibly had the wrong springs in and they were recently replaced, I have just put some brand new non genuine one in today and initially the ride height was great but after a drive it went back to normal, could need some adjustable rear arms and bushes to sort this and help would be great!

Cheers Ben

Hi Ben and welcome to Asn,

Have you checked that the shock absorbers are in good condition and not leaking? Or that they haven't been replaced with shortened ones to make it lower as part of a suspension kit if you've recently purchased the car?

Got any pic of how low the cars sitting as well?

Chris

Tie bars and bushes wont help. The shocks will be shot.

mines a bit low too...

g545.jpg

Rear shocks do look like they have seen better days but they are standard will replace them on the 2nd and mine looks a little lower than the pick posted above.

Cheers Ben

I'd be looking at the springs,
Make sure no tangs have snapped off etc,

Shocks don't affect the ride height.

As above, springs really determine the ride height.

Check the rubber spring seats, if they've perished and the springs are almost touching the metal mounts, you could easily lose 10-15mm in ride height.

Edit: you say the springs are new, but non genuine, what make are they? I have some spax rear springs, and they really lowered the car a lot, even from new, so they had to come off!

Adam, your rear looks lowered but front isn't lol

What suspension you running in that picture?

i know, no idea its a new car. I assume its standard, and the shocks are ****ed...

I'm guessing these are lowering springs then, and low ones at that.

My new AP Sport springs are supposed to lower 25mm or so, and they aren't as low as yours in that pic.

I think I'm just going to return these and just get some coilovers or something. Save hassle of dealing with removing and refitting them for them only to be wrong again.

Cheers Ben

Fitted the kyb as above, dropped the car too much, check the height of the spring think they are around 190 but seem to compress to much. I ended puting the old ones back on.

Mark

Well I fitted some coilovers today and its sorted but I think it was the shocks because they were wrecked, didnt expand after being compressed :S

Last edited: